Recovering gold with Zinc

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't understand your question.
Can you rephrase it please.
How do you not understand? If FeSO4 is used as a reductant in an attempt to reduce gold from a metal solution, will it also pull into the powder the base metals in addition to the precious metals or only the gold or only the precious metals? What can FeSO4 reduce from a metal solution?

Ferrous sulphate is fairly selective but it can precipitate some platinum if there’s a lot in the solution and with dirty solutions you can have some drag down of other metals which can be removed by boiling the precipitate in HCl until it’s colourless followed by boiling in water.

How do you not understand? If FeSO4 is used as a reductant in an attempt to reduce gold from a metal solution, will it also pull into the powder the base metals in addition to the precious metals or only the gold or only the precious metals? What can FeSO4 reduce from a metal solution?
Reread your question, it did not say so. Ferrous Sulfate is relatively specific for Gold.

Ferrous sulphate is fairly selective but it can precipitate some platinum if there’s a lot in the solution and with dirty solutions you can have some drag down of other metals which can be removed by boiling the precipitate in HCl until it’s colourless followed by boiling in water.
I had problems with this procedure since I work with chlorine. I guess I should boil first, but how much in the water to completely clean the chlorine or in some other way and only then add HCl because the mixture of chlorine and HCL dissolves all precious metals. More precisely, only a strong concentration of chlorine at higher temperatures dissolves them. It happened to me that when cleaning the powder, everything turned back into a liquid state.
And thank you for your reply.

Please, now you explain to me what means -Ferrous Sulfate is relatively specific for Gold.
That means that it is relatively selective to Gold.
It will not drop much base metals under normal circumstances.
Though I prefer SMB

I make google search about zinc anode from zinc carbon batteries, got no information about how its made, is it zinc alloy or pure zinc, anyone have experience with it with precipitation PM's from acidic and alkaline solutions?

In my country I have no resource for pure zinc sheets, and the zinc powder that usually I got from gold market (Chinese origin) its make a very fine powder when precipitating PM's that make them take long time to settle down, and I noticed that the zinc powder is not pure zinc, it has some components that prevent it from getting fire as I read, as I also noticed that HCl not dissolve all the zinc powder some zinc powder elements not dissolved at all even with aqua regia and most of them float at the top of the solution and settle down very slowly, I think its an organic components but at the end they have weight and make issues when trying to make proper solution quantity for recovering Platinum group metals.

I make google search about zinc anode from zinc carbon batteries, got no information about how its made, is it zinc alloy or pure zinc, anyone have experience with it with precipitation PM's from acidic and alkaline solutions?

In my country I have no resource for pure zinc sheets, and the zinc powder that usually I got from gold market (Chinese origin) its make a very fine powder when precipitating PM's that make them take long time to settle down, and I noticed that the zinc powder is not pure zinc, it has some components that prevent it from getting fire as I read, as I also noticed that HCl not dissolve all the zinc powder some zinc powder elements not dissolved at all even with aqua regia and most of them float at the top of the solution and settle down very slowly, I think its an organic components but at the end they have weight and make issues when trying to make proper solution quantity for recovering Platinum group metals.
Zinc used in Batteries need to pretty pure to not pollute the reaction.
It may or may not have stabilizers in it.
Do you have access to a shipyard?
They use pure Zinc anodes to protect the hull from rusting too fast.

Anyway the best option is Copper as always, since Zinc drops most every thing.
Or if it is pure PGM solution, use Aluminum strips from sheet or foil.

Zinc used in Batteries need to pretty pure to not pollute the reaction.
It may or may not have stabilizers in it.
Do you have access to a shipyard?
They use pure Zinc anodes to protect the hull from rusting too fast.

Anyway the best option is Copper as always, since Zinc drops most every thing.
Or if it is pure PGM solution, use Aluminum strips from sheet or foil.
It's pur PGM solution,copper take long time, I was thinking in Aluminum buy read an article here talking about Aluminum cons in precipitation

It's pur PGM solution,copper take long time, I was thinking in Aluminum buy read an article here talking about Aluminum cons in precipitation
Zinc is good for pure solutions, but it may be hard to get.
Aluminum is equally good, but need a bit more attention with respect to amount added and maybe retention time.
Of course it can not be used in Nitrate solutions.
Even pure Iron can be used if the solution is Copper free.

Zinc is good for pure solutions, but it may be hard to get.
Aluminum is equally good, but need a bit more attention with respect to amount added and maybe retention time.
Of course it can not be used in Nitrate solutions.
Even pure Iron can be used if the solution is Copper free.
You as usual inspired me again, I think iron sheet used in copper transformers are very pure, isn't it? One more question, is iron precipitation is fast and gave large PGM's sediments like zinc sheets?

*Edited for spelling

Last edited:
You as usual inspired me again, I think iron sheet used in copper transformers are very pure, isn't it? One more question, is iron precipitation is fast and gave large PGM's sediments like zinc sheets?

*Edited for spelling
I have never used it, but it will be imperative that it is pure.

You may be able to get these at your local hardware store. I've had good luck with these cementing out PGM's. Just remember to remove the steel parts. I get the 25 count container which is usually cheaper than buying them individually.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sigma-Elec...ce-Entrance-Connector-Conduit-Fitting/1087351

Or...your local boating store may have zinc anodes. But I can't say whether they are pure zinc or an alloy.

You may be able to get these at your local hardware store. I've had good luck with these cementing out PGM's. Just remember to remove the steel parts. I get the 25 count container which is usually cheaper than buying them individually.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sigma-Elec...ce-Entrance-Connector-Conduit-Fitting/1087351

Or...your local boating store may have zinc anodes. But I can't say whether they are pure zinc or an alloy.
Access denied to the shared link

You can source pure zinc from Pennie’s after 1983 by heating with a torch and flicking the insides into a dish. From
There if you’re motivated collect enough to put into a casserole heat it till you can crush it into a Powder. If you use big pieces it will but might take a few hours

Back