Recovery of Iridium from Iridium coated Titanium Mesh.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBJ

I have titanium anodes which are coated with iridium oxide as far as I have researched. I have cut the mesh into small pieces and thrown it in hot concentrated HCL. This resulted in the coating being removed and the coating settled at the bottom as a black powder. I filtered this powder and according to an XRF report the percentage of iridium is about 5%. I dont know how accurate XRF reports are but the report of the black powder shows iridium at 5%, Ruthenium at 3% Titanium at 15% and about 75% LE ( Light elements ) . I managed to get 6 grams of powder from 400grams of mesh. I wish to collect iridium from this black powder, or at least make it so that the percentage of iridium in the sample is more than 70%. As far as I know, the powder contains ruthenium oxide as well as titanium oxide.

I have titanium anodes which are coated with iridium oxide as far as I have researched. I have cut the mesh into small pieces and thrown it in hot concentrated HCL. This resulted in the coating being removed and the coating settled at the bottom as a black powder. I filtered this powder and according to an XRF report the percentage of iridium is about 5%. I dont know how accurate XRF reports are but the report of the black powder shows iridium at 5%, Ruthenium at 3% Titanium at 15% and about 75% LE ( Light elements ) . I managed to get 6 grams of powder from 400grams of mesh. I wish to collect iridium from this black powder, or at least make it so that the percentage of iridium in the sample is more than 70%. As far as I know, the powder contains ruthenium oxide as well as titanium oxide.
Welcome to us.

some companies treat the anode by manual to scrape the coating and then dissove and recovery Ir and Ru from the coating mixture. Maybe Ru could be distillated by Cl gas and Ir will dissove in the solution.

Latest posts

Back