Recovery of the Palladium

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

argonsolucoes

Hello my friends, I'm from Brazil, so I'm sorry for any mistake with the words!
I am learning the processes now, so I had a doubt and I was able to verify that the forum has a lot of good people in it and is willing to help others.
After using nitric acid in palladium, the solution has plenty of copper too, which is the best way to precipitate palladium.

I thank the help of all!

The copper dissolved in solution is not metal any more, it is copper ions or a salt of copper(copper atoms with missing or shared electrons).

The copper ions have already given up or shared their electrons, they have no electron to give up to cement the palladium ions in solution which are also missing or sharing the electrons from their atoms being ions or salts of palladium.

Bus bar copper metal with all of its electrons in its atoms will displace (give the palladium ions electrons to change the palladium ion to an atom of palladium with all of its electrons, changing the Pd from being salt to being metal Pd powder and fall out of solution, as the copper bus bar dissolves into solution.

There are several other reducing agents for palladium depending on the type of anions involved in the salt, reducing agents like Zn, Fe, Cu, Al, Mg, DMG, sodium chlorate, SO2 gas (from palladium sulfate solutions), FeSO4 (from nitric solutions), NH4Cl (from nitrate solution), copper I chloride, formic acid,

one of the other members can list them better and detail their problems better than I can.

Thanks friend, more for your experience what would be the best method for a medium scale quantity? Do you think NH4CL or the copper bar? As for the time of the process, I'm in no hurry.
Using the copper bar method would you be able to reach a good purity?
Thank you very much Buddy!

Hello!

What's the source of Palladium? It's from electronic scrap?

I think your best bet is DMG (dimethylglyoxime or dimetilglioxima in portuguese).

Hello friend, yes, it's electronic waste.
But it is difficult for us to find someone who wants to help us, my salvation was to find this forum !!! Thank you all !!!

I've already seen talking about DMG, but I'm in doubt, what should be the ph before putting the DMD?

The first step I would take is to analyse the solution to see how much palladium it has.

Very often there's almost nothing, because the scrap wasn't sorted right.

I would send to be analysed by ICP-OES on Central Analítica do Instituto de Química of the University of Sao Paulo. CA IQ-USP (http://ca.iq.usp.br/)

It will be just R$45,00 for just palladium. The price is R$45,00 each element.

Already tried to help many people from this type of source, most of them give up because the scrap was mixed and had too little Pd.

It's actually electronic waste, but I wanted to do the process on the mmlc capacitors, which have a palladium, I have around 2kg of them. As the situation is not easy, I don't want to risk ruining everything. So I had already seen talking about DMG, I even bought it, but I never used it yet because I want to be sure which is the best way.

Friends, can someone help me?
In order to precipitate palladium in a palladium nitrate solution with DMG, should I raise the pH to what level? Could you use caustic soda?

Personally, I would simply cement it out with copper as butcher suggested earlier. Copper will only cement precious metals and mercury if it happens to be present. It is inexpensive, easy to do, and it avoids creating a palladium dimethylglyoxime complex that will require another step to convert it to palladium metal.

Dave

I understand friend Dave, sorry for my lack of knowledge .... kkk ..... I'm still learning. If you can help me further on this question I would be very grateful, what would be the process after the DMG to metallize? And let's suppose you wanted to use DMG, you could use caustic soda to raise the pH and even what number before using the dmg.

Thank you Dave!

argonsolucoes said:
I understand friend Dave, sorry for my lack of knowledge .... kkk ..... I'm still learning. If you can help me further on this question I would be very grateful, what would be the process after the DMG to metallize? And let's suppose you wanted to use DMG, you could use caustic soda to raise the pH and even what number before using the dmg.

Thank you Dave!

My question is why would you want to use DMG? Do you understand that DMG is more expensive? Do you understand how difficult it is to get DMG into solution? Do you understand that the precipitate is very voluminous?

The answers to your question are here on the forum. I've only ever used DMG for testing because of the issues I mentioned above. If I ever face a situation where I need to use it for a bulk precipitation, I can use the search to find the information.

Dave

It's just that I've seen a lot of people saying that if you use the copper bar the palladium will have copper impurities, that's why I thought about DMG.

You will most like to do best just learning how and recovering the palladium safely and letting the professionals refine it.
How are you going to deal with the toxic waste you create in the recovery process that is what you need to be studying.
Why are you concerned about refining and melting palladium, you have not even done the homework to recover it safely.

I'm sorry for the lack of knowledge, I just think that knowledge is a good that whenever possible to acquire is good to acquire, unfortunately it is not easy to find good people in this world to help us.

Regarding toxicity, rest assured, I am aware, I always work in a chapel and have a box for washing and purifying the gases.

The box will not wash and purify acids.
I seriously doubt you know all of the dangers, I have studied this diligently for many years, and could study it another lifetime and still not understand all of the dangers.

And you have not even studied the basics but feel you already are safe working in a box?

I wish I could find a box that would magically make these operations safe, and protect me and all of my neighbors from dangers, I could not find a magic box, I have to spend my time educating myself.

The problem is not that there is a lack of people to help educate you or help you,
The problem rears its ugly head when you do not help yourself.
I do not expect others to teach me or guide me, I do not need others to guide me or help me (although it is nice when they do) I work to educate myself.

argonsolucoes,
No offense my friend, but to think you understand all of the dangers and are safe, where you are not (or do not think you need to ) be spending your time to studying and learning how dangerous and how unsafe these different operations are to deal with is putting yourself in a very dangerous box.
In a box of dangers that even all the help form all of the friends in the world could not help you get out of, because you are not willing to learn to see ---what you do not know, but believe you already know the dangers, your friends cannot educate you or even help you from the box, thus making it hard for them to help you learn to recover and refine precious metals safely.

Study the safety
educate yourself
Do not expect others to fill your brain with understanding, search for it diligently yourself, do not expect others to give you the knowledge, do the hard work to find it for yourself, do not expect to find wisdom as a birthday gift from your friends wrapped in a pretty neat package, that box may be empty but full of good intentions...

PGMs are scarce and are so rare, most of will see very little of these metals in our lifetime, so hard to recover and refine, so dangerous, why spend the time trying to refine them unless you're sitting on tons of it, when you can just recover the PGM's and sell them (letting someone else refine and melt), possibly for more of a profit than could get if you tried to refine and melt it yourself.

How much would satisfy you, Jon, If it is that important to you I could dig it up to take pictures and re-burry it. But I will not give any clues as to where my gold is buried, and there is no treasure map of it.

What is the purpose, of your statement, what am I missing????

Are you serious, if so why, what is your point, or is this a British thing that they call humor? British logic that us ole country boys across the pond are unaware of?

Is Palladium recovery really that toxic? I thought you just put a bunch of baking soda on wastestream and pour it out , you just got to remember to wear gloves.

Platinum group metals, often referred to as pgm's, are toxic when in solution. I would say ask Freechemist, but he didn't survive, and he was very knowledgeable and careful about refining. That sounds harsh, and it is, but it is also true. There are other members in the past who have dealt with the chemicals we use and had severe problems with their health. Once this stuff gets in your system it most likely will be there the rest of your life. Refining is not a toy and and it can kill you as well as your friends, neighbors and pets.

Palladium recovery is it really that toxic? I thought you just put a bunch of baking soda on waste stream and pour it out, you just got to remember to wear gloves.

That would be good advice on how to poison your neighbors and put us all in danger of these water-soluble toxic salts...

Dealing with waste is simple but not that simple.
Study, the topic dealing with waste, do not think you know. Study to learn.

Thinking you understand the safety aspects and are working safely without doing the hard work to study is deadly to you and all of us who live on this planet and drink the water or eat from the fruits of the land.

When you understand how to deal with waste safely you will also learn and come to understand many important principles and reactions that are so important in recovery and refining, basically not only are you less likely to harm yourself or members of your family.
By studying how to properly work safely, and how to properly deal with the toxic waste, you will also learn the important facts that will help you in other processes of learning to become better at recovery and refining of the precious metals.

Latest posts

Back