Recovery problems

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Well, I have bought all the books and materials, but I am obviously doing something wrong. First I tried to make my AR by heating up my Muriatic Acid and adding SN till it was saturated. I let the finger boards and chips sit overnight, BTW I purchased an exhaust hood so that my garage wouldn't collapse from the fumes etc., the solution I came up with is almost black, not the golden color I had in other batches, I then add Urea but get little or no fizzing, when I add the SMB, nothing drops. Have I screwed up by mixing finger boards with broken up chips, have the IC's on the boards compromised the mix etc.? Should I just start over and can I salvage any of the mix that I have now? Thanks in advance for any help. I really thought I had done enought reading etc. to get this right, but...........

You should test your solution with Stannous Chloride to see if there is any gold in solution. If there was no fizzing when you added the urea, this means that all the acid was used up. Maybe you dissolved other metals but not gold. Remember that gold is the last one to dissolve.

Try getting your gold isolated first. All those base metals in the boards foul things up. Acid-peroxide is great for stripping gold from fingers and cpus. Then proceed to AR or HCl-clorox.

rhyanon said:
Well, I have bought all the books and materials, but I am obviously doing something wrong. First I tried to make my AR by heating up my Muriatic Acid and adding SN till it was saturated.
Something is terribly wrong with this statement. One does NOT make AR by dissolving SN in HCl.

Did you mean to say that?

Harold

Harold_V said:
rhyanon said:
Well, I have bought all the books and materials, but I am obviously doing something wrong. First I tried to make my AR by heating up my Muriatic Acid and adding SN till it was saturated.
Something is terribly wrong with this statement. One does NOT make AR by dissolving SN in HCl.

Harold

He more than likely means Sodium Nitrate. He just calls it by Sn.

The recipie I had for making poormans AR was to first disolve your sodium nitrate in hot distilled water, then add that to your hcl. A white salt (I guess sodium something) would drop out, then you poured it through a filter, like an old undershirt or something like that, so you just had a clear liquid.
Randy

If the finger pieces still had the fiberglass circuit board material with them and you put that in AR you will have a black gooey mess!

You have to try to fix this by using Zinc dust to recover whatever and start over. You will have better luck the second time.

Palladium said:
Harold_V said:
rhyanon said:

Harold

He more than likely means Sodium Nitrate. He just calls it by Sn.

Thanks, Ralph. My mind went immediately to Sn, (tin). I'm woefully lacking in the ways of work-arounds, as you already know.

Harold

Back