Red Copper?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starzfan0211

Good Morning Everyone,

We were taking apart our big load of stuff we got the other day and I was separating copper. I was working with the computer power supplies and removing the bare copper. I noticed that some of the bare copper is red in color. Does anyone know if this is some copper alloy or is it just coated red? Thanks.

The coating is a type of shellac applied to the wire for insulation, after the motor or transformer has been wound it is dipped into the shellac then baked in an oven until cured.

Sometimes the shellac used on electric motors will give the appearance of copper color on the windings when in fact the wire used in the windings is aluminum.

This is especially noted on small appliance motors washing machines and dryers etc.

I used to buy non working portable welders for repair or parts some being scraped out and found some had aluminum windings.

Which is inferior to copper.

Ahh now I got it, the bare copper sheet is used for shielding.

I don't know your procedure for removing the copper, but with the transformer laminations having been welded together it makes removal time consuming.

If you use an old wood chisel make one cut through your copper windings, then incinerate. The wire literally falls out.

The reason the laminations have been welded it to eliminate transformer hum.

if you cut the weld with a angle grinder the transformer will come apart fairly easily, the weld is usually only about 1/8 inch or less deep. I use this method on transformers from commercial microwaves -KFC-

james122964 said:
if you cut the weld with a angle grinder the transformer will come apart fairly easily, the weld is usually only about 1/8 inch or less deep. I use this method on transformers from commercial microwaves -KFC-
True the weld is not very deep in regards to penetration, taking your labor, electricity and consumables into consideration your far better served selling transformer scrap as Breakage.

Breakage consists of transformers, motors etc with the steel and copper combined, the current price $0.68.

That works out to $680.00 a thousand pounds, and it does not take long to add up. Selling as Breakage will free up some of your time, plus save you money.

.20lb is the best I've found. With a portable bandsaw, a hammer and a vise, I can strip 30 to 40 transformers per hour. The winding can be aluminium that will be wasted in a burn. That averages out to over $280 per hour. It would take about 4 hours to clean 1klbs, so .68lb wouldn't be bad if I could get it. That's four hours I could be fishing or scrounging up more junk.

around here they only give .04 for anything with iron in the mix.

I use a cut off wheel and can have the transformer appart in minutes.
Usual yield is 2.5 lb per transformer * 3.20 for the copper = 8.00 in five minutes tops. If you do not force the cut metal grinding wheels last for quite a while and they are only 3.00 for a five pack.

Back