Refine gold at home

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kanani24

I have read so many strings on here and I am totally confused and nervous. We have a blue bowl and love it. Not experts, we get our material to some black sand and gold dust. With this virus leaving us broke and on the verge of in the streets in Friday, we are trying to refine to get gold to turn in for much needed money. We have propane, bleach and borax. My husband is rattling off a ton of chemicals we need and it's freaky. I should mention that I got out of taking chemistry in school!
Anyways, can anyone put in simpleton terms and explain? He wants mercury (a guy thing I guess). I say borax. We don't have a crucible.
Any help is greatly appreciated. I guess I need to start learning chemistry. (It's a girl thing). Studying geology at least! {Smirk}. Love it.
Happy Easter!
Kanani

----those rocks aren't just "pretty"

I do not know where you live, but if your in an area of gold mining, you should have no trouble selling your gold as is, find a local gold dealer you can trust, he will buy the gold as he will recognize it, very similar to a coin, it has a more recognized value for the metal content than if you melt it down).

if the gold is refined it may be harder to sell, he cannot test the purity and would pay less as 22K is about as high as he would pay (determined by testing, he cannot test above that purity), and depending on where the placer gold is mined it can run a higher gold content along with some other metal like silver.

Mercury is a stupid idea tell him I said so, and he would be stupid to use it.
If you wish to learn to recover or refine the gold everything you or your husband would need to learn can be found here, and many members to help him along the way.

Personally, unless I was keeping the gold for the future, and can sell it at full value or melt it back down to 14K by adding copper and selling it, I would keep the placer gold as is and sell it as is If I got hungry enough, by some miracle, no matter how poor and hungry I have been I have never had to sell my gold for bread, I found something else to eat somehow, and sold other rocks, firewood, dug ditches just about anything for enough bread to survive the hard times.

I would buy the placer gold as-is for a higher price than if he melts it, the only way I would buy it melted is if it was refined to a high purity indicated by a pipe or crater that forms naturally in gold which free of most base metals as it cools, only gold with a high purity will form this mark, which can be recognized by many here for its value just like the coin before you melt it...

You should get melt value for your gold (as is) fairly easy.

You sound desperate and not to sound rude or hurtful but desperate people tend to act to hastily, which in this field can get you, your husband, and your neighbors hurt or worse. My advice is to do as Butcher says. Get your gold down to concentrates and find someone that you trust that will buy it. When things are better you can take the time needed to learn how to refine the gold. I would not recommend refining ore to a novice.

Latest posts

Back