Regarding the name "Bleach”/”Bleech”

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proffshuggarn

I know it’s out there, somewhere..
Supporting Member
Hello friends.
I thought that someone, once and for all, could answer exactly what substance the term "bleach/bleech" refers to? (Often spelled both)

I ask the question as the word "Bleach/bleach” is often used both when it comes to:
-ordinary household chlorine (NaClO) and
-hydrogen peroxide (H2O2).

And for me, who often use translation programs, as English is not my mother tongue, get "bleach/Bleech” translated to just... Bleaching substance!!😅

Here is household Chlorine (NaClO) to the left and Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) to the right🤔.
And both is translated as “Bleach/Bleech” in my language🫣
IMG_4073.jpeg
“Klorin” (NaClO)
IMG_4074.jpeg
And
Hydrogen Peroxide 12% (H2O2)
IMG_4075.jpeg
Can anyone tell me what a native English speaker actually means by the term "bleach/bleech"?
-Is it NaClO or H2O2?

Just for my and others safety🙂
Have a nice weekend.
/Dennis

Hello friends.
I thought that someone, once and for all, could answer exactly what substance the term "bleach/bleech" refers to? (Often spelled both)

I ask the question as the word "Bleach/bleach” is often used both when it comes to:
-ordinary household chlorine (NaClO) and
-hydrogen peroxide (H2O2).

And for me, who often use translation programs, as English is not my mother tongue, get "bleach/Bleech translated to just... Bleaching substance!!😅

Here is household Chlorine (NaClO) to the left and Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) to the right🤔.
And both is translated as “Bleach/Bleech” in my language🫣
View attachment 58710
Can anyone tell me what a native English speaker actually means by the term "bleach/bleech"?
-Is it NaClO or H2O2?

Just for my and others safety🙂
Have a nice weekend.
/Dennis
It usually refers to Sodium Hypochlorite, even if Calcium Hypochlorite and Potassium Hypochlorite may be used?
Not entirely sure about the last two, but any substance delivering Chlorine into a solution of HCl will work.

Peroxide works well too and is my favorite since it do not increase the pH during use.

World wide the naming convention may indicate both Peroxide and Hypochlorite as Bleach.

In this forum we mean Sodium Hypochlorite.

I have never seen it spelled as “bleech”. But as mentioned it is usually sodium hypochlorite in water. Household bleach runs around 3.5% to 5% sodium hypochlorite in water. Pool bleach used to add chlorine to swimming pools or cleaning of pools and decks is usually around 10%, occasionally higher. 20% as a deck cleaning agent is the highest I have ran across and only once have I seen it.

This will be the issue with translation programs for the foreseeable future. Some words simply do not translate well. Other words and phrases translate to several words and phrases. This is why we ask everyone to be as accurate as possible in their posts.

Translating from American English can be very problematic, as there are over 400 dialects of English in the US, some with their own unique spelling, not to mention pronunciation.

Because I have relatives in several European countries, I frequently ask that they review translated posts, from various forums, primarily to determine if various idioms, phrases, and slang from throughout the US translates well. Far too often it does not.

For the most part, we do understand one another. That is a good thing on an international forum.

Time for more coffee.

I have never seen it spelled as “bleech”. But as mentioned it is usually sodium hypochlorite in water. Household bleach runs around 3.5% to 5% sodium hypochlorite in water. Pool bleach used to add chlorine to swimming pools or cleaning of pools and decks is usually around 10%, occasionally higher. 20% as a deck cleaning agent is the highest I have ran across and only once have I seen it.
The problem with Sodium Hypochlorite is that it starts to decompose the minute it is produced.
In order to stabilize it it is stored in a highly caustic solution of Sodium Hydroxide.
The concentration is selected as it is sufficient for washing and disinfecting and has a good shelf life.
The stronger the shorter shelf life.
Additionally it needs to be stored cold below 8-10 centigrade if it is to keep its strength over time.

Calcium Hypochlorite on the other hand is a solid.

In this forum we mean Sodium Hypochlorite.
Thanks @Yggdrasil.
Then it became clear what "bleach" primarily refers to here on the forum🙂

A suggestion could be that the chemical designation be printed as far as the term "Bleach" is concerned, so that we all understand? As I take it to mean that it is still used as a name for both listed chemicals after all, which still makes it a guessing game for me as an amateur.

Thanks for your answers and I'm lucky to have you to sort out minor but still in the process significant concepts.
Live & Let live 😊
/Dennis

Bleaching is the process the chemical is used for when called bleach. Might be different chemicals giving the same or similar result.

If use copy paper as an example. It can be bleached using Cl giving a long lasting white surface that do not get affected by sunlight. Drawbacks is enviromental

If bleached with H2O2 it gives a white paper but the paper is sensitive for sunlight and getting yellow if long term exposure. ( old newspaper often gets yellow since bleached with H2O2.) Less dangerous for the nature.

So its not the chemical thats is bleach. Its the intended usage that is bleaching.

Edit: ( as you can see the Klorin is now days called desinfection in Sweden. This is because it is more or less banned as a household bleach (makes your skirts shiny white). So they just changed the intended usage to desinfection and can carry on selling it is food stores. Exellent against mold so they can point on that usage. )

Last edited:
Bleaching is the process the chemical is used for when called bleach. Might be different chemicals giving the same or similar result.

If use copy paper as an example. It can be bleached using Cl giving a long lasting white surface that do not get affected by sunlight. Drawbacks is enviromental

If bleached with H2O2 it gives a white paper but the paper is sensitive for sunlight and getting yellow if long term exposure. ( old newspaper often gets yellow since bleached with H2O2.) Less dangerous for the nature.

So its not the chemical thats is bleach. Its the intended usage that is bleaching.

Edit: ( as you can see the Klorin is now days called desinfection in Sweden. This is because it is more or less banned as a household bleach (makes your skirts shiny white). So they just changed the intended usage to desinfection and can carry on selling it is food stores. Exellent against mold so they can point on that usage. )
The generic bleaching agent world wide is Sodium Hypochlorite.
Mainly due to price.
So when ever someone says bleach it is assumed Sodium Hypochlorite.
When ever a different chemical is used, it has something extra to it, like "green" or environmentally safe or similar.

Latest posts

Back