Remove palladium from copper without completely dissolving the copper

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well. I'm new to this forum and I see that many here share the same passion. I've already read Hoke's book. I'm here to ask for your help. Recently, here in Italy, I came across copper wires coated with palladium. Dissolving this material completely with HNO3 is not feasible due to the amount of copper and the high emission of NOx gas and tempering. I would like to ask for your help to find a more viable way to remove the palladium from these wires without dissolving the entire copper wire. I recently made a solution with 150 vol hydrogen peroxide and HCL with the aim of peeling off the palladium, but it ended up dissolving all the copper, maybe electrolysis is feasible, but I would like your help.

Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well. I'm new to this forum and I see that many here share the same passion. I've already read Hoke's book. I'm here to ask for your help. Recently, here in Italy, I came across copper wires coated with palladium. Dissolving this material completely with HNO3 is not feasible due to the amount of copper and the high emission of NOx gas and tempering. I would like to ask for your help to find a more viable way to remove the palladium from these wires without dissolving the entire copper wire. I recently made a solution with 150 vol hydrogen peroxide and HCL with the aim of peeling off the palladium, but it ended up dissolving all the copper, maybe electrolysis is feasible, but I would like your help.
Do you have a picture of said wires?

These seem so thin it should not take much to dissolve all and then either cement them or drop it in the ordinary way.
How much is it?
The wires are approximately 0.3mm thick, and the main challenge is that I have several tons of this material, which makes complete dissolution impractical, especially since the palladium content is quite low, around 1-2 grams of palladium per kilogram of wire.

The wires are approximately 0.3mm thick, and the main challenge is that I have several tons of this material, which makes complete dissolution impractical, especially since the palladium content is quite low, around 1-2 grams of palladium per kilogram of wire.
Just out of curiosity, what did it come from?

Maybe it is easier to sell it if you can get a decent price?

I think sulfur-nitrogen melange will help you.
on the same principle as withdrawing silver.
In a solution of hot sulfuric acid, copper is passivated, and by adding a little nitric acid you will dissolve palladium.
sulfuric acid about 45-50% (density 1.4) fill your material, heat it in a water bath to 80-90 degrees Celsius and add a little bit of nitric acid.
proportion, I think, 1/19
stir the wires periodically...
Everything should be removed in half an hour.
then drain the solution and let it settle until the sulfite drops out.
the treated wires must be allowed to cool and rinsed thoroughly in a closed container, rinsing off any sulfite that has settled on the parts...

Next I use someone else's text translated by a translator :

We use the solution several times, then leave the solution for a couple of days without touching it. After two days, crystals that are transparent in the solution will fall to the bottom of the jar. This will precipitate the sulfate of the metals in the solution. We drain the sedimentary liquid, add hydrochloric acid to the precipitated crystals and heat the solution. When the sulfate crystals dissolve, throw a piece of aluminum foil or pieces (powder) of zinc into the solution. All palladium will immediately fall out of solution completely..
https://pikabu.ru/story/poluchenie_palladiya_cherez_sulfat_11042062

Latest posts

Back