removing casting investment

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abazabazoom

Hi all,
im trying to get into refining for my small casting house.
alot of gold and silver waste are incorporated with casting investment,
does anyone know how the investment removing is done chemicaly or otherwise ?
ive done a test using an investment remover for 24 hours and had no results.

thanks in advance

Mosses

abazabazoom said:
Hi all,
im trying to get into refining for my small casting house.
alot of gold and silver waste are incorporated with casting investment,
does anyone know how the investment removing is done chemicaly or otherwise ?
ive done a test using an investment remover for 24 hours and had no results.

thanks in advance

Mosses

What exactly did you expect the investment remover to accomplish after 24 hours in the ultrasonic cleaner. There will be no gold or silver values in your investment only in the casing sprue's, trees and polishing dust.

Regards
Rusty

The investment powder will have some values in it but the cost of recovery can be more than they are worth, it might pay if you can concentrate the values, look at the mining section for ideas on how to do that,the only other way is to use hydrofloric which is highly dangerous and which I avoid.

nickvc said:
The investment powder will have some values in it but the cost of recovery can be more than they are worth, it might pay if you can concentrate the values, look at the mining section for ideas on how to do that,the only other way is to use hydrofloric which is highly dangerous and which I avoid.

Assay first, this will determine if there are enough values to chase versus cost of extraction.

Regards
Rusty

HI again,

thanks for repling,
It seems that my question was misunderstood.

i wasnt refering to refining casting investment but washing it from gold filings.

thanks again

moses

If you have gold filings mixed in with investment powder HCL if I remember right should digest the powder without digesting the gold. To test I would put a few grams in a small beaker or test tube and add a little HCL then swirl to mix. Take care it might foam or have other reaction. If it does digest the powder then just good rinsing should concentrate the gold for refining.
Mark

I believe he is asking how to remove the investment from the casting. Of course, it depends on what investment compound you use. If it's something like Doc's from PM West or Talladium, they are rock hard and very difficult to remove. Hydrofluoric acid is one way to do it, but as the others will attest to, it's very dangerous. There is another, safer way that uses peroxide (I think), but I'll have to check into that.
Tell me, please, are you casting polymers from a 3d printer? And casting higher temp metals (like platinum)?

It really depends on what exactly you describe as filings, if it's literally from a file i would just melt it with a little flux but if it's come from a wheel it will probably have carburundam dust included and that is extremely difficult to melt successfully, if that is the case then the best method is total dissolution using the methods outlined here on the forum.

Latest posts

Back