Request for Assay of Fine Silver

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kadriver

I harvested about 40 to 45 troy ounces of silver crystals from my silver cell.

I would like to have a sample assayed to give me an idea of the actual purity of the metal and a written report if possible.

Who can do this? How much will it cost me? Procedure for getting the assay completed?

I live in Charleston SC - someone close by would be great but not necessary!

Thanks - kadriver

I think Rick the rockman offers an assaying service on your side of the pond and it will keep it in the family 8)

If Rick can't help my lads here in the UK are quick and cheap around $15 for a silver silver assay and done in a day, they need around a gram to test. Let me know if you want more information I'm happy to pass on the details.

kadriver,

What level of accuracy do you need? If you need to know exactly what it is and it is between, say, 99.95% and 99.99%, many of the traditional methods don't have enough accuracy. For example, the accuracy of 2 of the best silver assay methods.
(1) Fire assay. I doubt if any assayer could do much better than 99.9%, if that.
(2) Volhard titration. About 99.9%, tops.

For greater accuracy, a common method is to use ICP or DCP (best for silver, according to Lou) to analyze all the impurities (only). Their total percentage is then subtracted from 100% to get the silver percentage.

It is because of this problem of analyzing high purity gold or silver that much trading, at least on a smaller scale, is done by the visual inspection of the bars - crystal on Au and Ag and a pipe on gold, etc.

Hello:

I am stamping my silver bars with three 9's.

I just want to verify the accuracy to this level only.

I keep a close eye on the cell electrolyte, and change it frequently using crystals grown from the cells to make fresh electrolyte.

The color of the fresh electrolyte is usually crystal clear. Occasionally it is very slight pale yellow with no cloudiness at all in either case.

I use a new melt dish for each batch of silver bars I melt.

I brush the torch tip until it shines like new.

I make sure everything is as clean as it can be.

I even use distilled water to do all my washing and rinsing.

I have never had an assay done. I just wanted it for my own reference.

I thought it would be routine, but from the attention this is getting, it sounds like a bag of worms as though many things could go wrong!

Thanks - kadriver

PTL testing labs in New Jersey somewhere. Google them.

By the way, if you are stamping and selling bars, you really need to be sure of the purity. Otherwise you can run afoul of the National Gold and Silver stamping Act.

nickvc said:
If Rick can't help my lads here in the UK are quick and cheap around $15 for a silver silver assay and done in a day, they need around a gram to test. Let me know if you want more information I'm happy to pass on the details.

nickvc: I would like to send a sample to the lads if possible. All I need to know is if I have three nines (I believe this silver is at least that).

Please email me with all the particulars at:

[email protected]

Thank you!

kadriver

Back