restoring iodine crystal/potassium iodide leaching solution

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drtys

Hello to all, i made a mistake in adding a teaspoon of sodium carbonate to a filtered solution of iodine/potassium iodide leaching solution which resulted in a nice clear solution with a slight bluish tint and a fresh watery odor, i believe i neutralized the solution by adding the sodium carbonate, can this be reversed to re-establish the gold leaching solutions original contents by adding an acid? Thanks for any information

Iodine reacts with base to produce hypoiodite and iodate anions - that´s why you see the discoloration of the solution. You can add reducing agent to reduce these. SMB will work just fine, but you will probably need to re-acidify the mixture (if it is no longer acidic).

I apologize for incorrect answer. Misunderstanded what is asked for.

Last edited:
SMB is a reducer, I wonder if it reclaims the iodine.
Yes, my fault. I misunderstood the question. Thought that he mistakenly added carbonate instead of SMB.
Peroxide in acidic enviroment should reverse it and allow to filter the iodine out. Or just regenerate it with impurities from previous run.

Hello again , Orvi , you were correct , that is exactly what occurred , I mistakenly added a teaspoon of sodium carbonate to a jar of filtered iodine/ iodide leaching solution which I was attempting to get the gold to drop from. Now I still need to know if adding acid will restore the solution so that I can then drop the gold with SMB? Thanks again

I will make it weakly acidic, and then add SMB. HCl should be fine. If it was only a teaspoon, it wouldn´t take too much to get orange-red indicator paper :) It will regain some yellowish-brown colour with acid addition, but not so strong as before.

Add SMB, decant the gold, and then you can reclaim iodine from the solution by addition of HCl and hydrogen peroxide. This time, acid addition should be stoichiometric. NurdRage have video on how to make iodine from iodide and peroxide - the process is roughly the same as this reclamation, so you can take some perspective.

Latest posts

Back