RJ45 jacks processing

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjavanb123

All,

I ran 3kg of dismantled RJ45 jacks, this weight include the plastics. My cyanide solution was prepared by dissolving 23.5g NaCN in 1500ml of hot water, and had 30ml of 35% hydrogen peroxide on the side to be added to the solution.

I used two bucket system, as you can see in the picture below, I have also two separate buckets filled with water, one to rinse the scraps, the other to dump the scraps after done leaching and rinsing. The last bucket is a lye solution to take care of any traces of cyanide left on scraps.
image.jpg

The bottom of this bucket in above picture is drilled with few holes, so I load them up with RJ45 jacks and submerge slowly into the beaker, add 10mls of peroxide and wait for 1-2 minutes, take the bucket ut, rinse it 3 times, then dump the jacks to the last bucket.
image.jpg

Load the leaching bottle woth rj45 jacks,
image.jpg

So after processing 3kg of jacks, it is time to precipitate gold, using zinc cementation, while stirring the solution I sprinkled zinc powder and stopped when gray powder formed, decant the solution and washed with hot water, then added hcl to dissolve zinc powder, this is what is left at the end of dissolution.
image.jpg

And this is a view from my whole cyanide leaching system,
image.jpg

After rinsing the black powder undissolve in hcl, I added few drops of hydrogen peroxide wnd it dissolves, to very pale yellow color, and it tests negative with stannous chloride.

So I guess plating on these pins are thicker that is why it takes longer to dissolve in cyanide or I have to use stronger cyanide solution.

Best regards,
Kevin

Hi,

But even after auric solution was left over night assuming most of peroxide evaporated still negative with stannous. I will try the remaining 11 kg of jacks with cyanide and report yield.

Regards
Kevin

Hi Kevin, do you have a gold standard solution to test your stannous chloride or is it fresh, it may be possible your stannous is off.

Marco,

Yes stannous choride is up to the job, as you can see in the following picutre which was taken two days ago
image.jpg

I'm really not wanting to poke the hornet's nest but I get really really nervous watching cyanide being used in that kind of setup with that kind of equipment.

This thread is 10 years old. It looks to me like KJ tried some other well-documented material to test his CN leach process and determined that this method was not ideal for his purposes.

If it helps, the forum has a search, but you can choose Advanced and tell the search to only search for posts after a certain date, or by a certain author.

You can also use google, just add this to your search, without quotes, to have Google only search this site: "site:goldrefiningforum.com"

Latest posts

Back