Rolled gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr T

Hey guys.
Have any of you had any experience with removing rolled gold from jewellery?
I was reading about using 1 part bleach to 2 parts hcl.
Is this something that could work? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys.
Have any of you had any experience with removing rolled gold from jewellery?
I was reading about using 1 part bleach to 2 parts hcl.
Is this something that could work? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Gold filled/rolled Gold are not attacked much by HCl/bleach or HCl/Peroxide, it do dissolve the Gold but very slowly.
AR is the only viable solution.

thanks for your answer.
I've tried ar I had lots of problems with the copper amount in the solution as far as filters blocking from the copper nitrate.
is placing the rolled gold into nitric acid a viable solution to remove the copper before the ar being used?

thanks for your answer.
I've tried ar I had lots of problems with the copper amount in the solution as far as filters blocking from the copper nitrate.
is placing the rolled gold into nitric acid a viable solution to remove the copper before the ar being used?
Yes, you should remove the base metals with a leach before using A.R. .
This is a refining fundamental that relates to most materials before using A.R. .

Remove base metals with nitric acid or even hydrochloric if time is not an issue. If you have a few weeks to wait AP also known as CuCl2, will remove the base metals pretty well and leave the gold about 18k+ when not rushed.

thanks for your answer.
Can you please use plain text, not bold on entire text?
It is like shouting and considered impolite.

Didnt notice I did....
Sorry.
I've sorted the job with hcl to remove the steel.
Then nitric to remove most of the copper.
Thanks guys.

I've sorted the job with hcl to remove the steel.
Then nitric to remove most of the copper.
Thanks guys.
When moving from hydrochloric acid to nitric acid you run the chance of creating AR. Use one or the other, or, heat the metals to a very dull glow to remove the acid used first. I prefer to use just one acid to remove base metals. Simple, easy, and minimal physical work.

The first step is the same as with inquarted karat scrap. Distilled water and Nitric acid boils until you stop getting any reaction. You can tell when you’re done when the dilute nitric remains clear after boiling. Then you can move on to HCl and Nitric to dissolve the gold.

Thank you all for your help and guidance.
I am now left with stainless steel parts from the watch straps, plates and springs etc.
What options do I have to dissolve those to only leave the gold?

Latest posts

Back