Ruthenium Metal Recovery

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mins ago
wrench.svg

Please help!
I want to recover ruthenium metal from ruthenium hydroxide. Ruthenium hydroxide reaction with nitric acid gives ruthenium crystals and some part of it is dissolved in nitric acid. Would it be correct if I first completely dissolve ruthenium hydroxide in nitric acid and then displace ruthenium either with zinc or aluminium powder, and then boil it in HCl to remove the aluminium from ruthenium?
Would it be a safe process for ruthenium metal recovery or there is some other better method than this? For me it’s ok if I get ruthenium powder of 90% purity.
Thanks in advance!

Thanks for your reply. Please let me know some other safe method for ruthenium recovery since there are chances of explosion if not handled
wisely.

So, I first treat ruthenium hydroxide with HCl and then precipitate ruthenium with Al etc.. Would this be a safe process, no explosion?

If you are asking here, you should probably not be wandering in to the realm of ruthenium processing.

There is virtually no value for small amounts of ruthenium. It's value is obtained in the premium for processing from raw material to useable reagent.

RuO4 can ignite in contact with combustible materials. To get RuO4 we need a strong oxidant, or dryness and high temperature + oxygen

If you are asking here, you should probably not be wandering in to the realm of ruthenium processing.

There is virtually no value for small amounts of ruthenium. It's value is obtained in the premium for processing from raw material to useable reagent.
Thanks for your advice. Now I got it. So, It is much better to sell ruthenium crystals than going for metal recovery.

Latest posts

Back