• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Trade Ruthenium scrap: 99%

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoytSmith

Supporting Member
I have what’s left of a Ruthenium cathode: it’s broken pieces of sintered material. It started as 3n5, so call it >99%. I don’t use or care to make PtRu alloys “Explosive oxidation.” and lack of time is enough to keep me from experimenting with melting bits into elemental samples to sell on ebay(that might be next).

I’d consider trading it for platinum or gold. I want .90 of spot for mine and I’m willing to trade at spot (with 3rd party assurances) for yours; spot + 3% if you trade with recognized commercial bullion. I have 30 Toz. I have other pgm related needs from time to time so a good business relationship is desired.

I hope I did that right.

Cheers

Attachments

• F9FEFD49-D0A9-4969-A65F-C7EBD9987F36.jpeg
    F9FEFD49-D0A9-4969-A65F-C7EBD9987F36.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
There really isn't an adhered to spot price.

You'd probably be best selling them on eBay.

There really isn't an adhered to spot price.

You'd probably be best selling them on eBay.

I apologize for any confusion. Johnson Matthey publishes pgm prices daily on their website. I understand that there’s no market in which to trade openly. I was using it as a guide. I believe the price reflects what JM charges for undelivered sponge: you pay for fabrication, delivery, etc, on top of the quoted price estimate.

I don’t need it, I don’t want to make my son figure it out what to do with it when I die (not anytime soon, I hope), and Ru is expensive enough to seek a solution now. (Ru recycling cost more than virgin sponge for many years). I’m open to reasonable offers.

Upstate hasn't responded.

No beads yet; I will post pics even if it doesn't work out. I will use a respirator and a long post flow.

Given the feedback I've received, I'm changing tact: I'm now taking offers. If someone wants to buy a few grams or a few ounces, we can probably find a way to work that out.

I apologize for any confusion. Johnson Matthey publishes pgm prices daily on their website. I understand that there’s no market in which to trade openly. I was using it as a guide. I believe the price reflects what JM charges for undelivered sponge: you pay for fabrication, delivery, etc, on top of the quoted price estimate.

I don’t need it, I don’t want to make my son figure it out what to do with it when I die (not anytime soon, I hope), and Ru is expensive enough to seek a solution now. (Ru recycling cost more than virgin sponge for many years). I’m open to reasonable offers.
You can also find price quoting on Ruthenium price | Umicore Precious Metals Management It's market driven, as much as such a market exists for this metal. It is, growing, due to industrial uses as a catalyst, and PGM alloys and plating. Looks like the MP has been flat-stable at $465/oz for many months. If you make "drilled" beads, let me know. 10 mm and 5 mm OD could be useful for me and my son.

Thank you for the Upstate reminder BGDOCK:

I submitted an online request to Upstate last week. I called today at the number on their homepage and a wholesale trader said he would have the "guys on the retail side" give me a call next week. He said that he thought someone was out of the office for a bit, returning Monday.

"If you make "drilled" beads, let me know. 10 mm and 5 mm OD could be useful for me and my son."

Starting mohs hardness is 6.5, and it's subject to work hardening. It's beyond my skill level to drill, and I don't know how to make them with holes any other way.

You can also find price quoting on Ruthenium price | Umicore Precious Metals Management It's market driven, as much as such a market exists for this metal. It is, growing, due to industrial uses as a catalyst, and PGM alloys and plating. Looks like the MP has been flat-stable at $465/oz for many months. If you make "drilled" beads, let me know. 10 mm and 5 mm OD could be useful for me and my son.
Thank you, jphayesjr:

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to respond. I will bookmark the Umicore price list as another resource. I tried to follow up to the price with a look for refining information. I could not find a path to recycling services, from the link, I did a search for umicore and found a page with recycling services Umicore Recycling Services. ( link verified 9/2/2023)

So far, I’m not getting any interest using a published market price as a starting point. For a long time, I think Ruthenium was primarily produced as a by product of pgm mining. Enough Ruthenium was produced to keep the market saturated to where it sold for $40/toz. The low price reflected low demand and a steady supply. It cost more to recycle Ru than virgin material from mining.

I gather from Lou that it still costs quite a bit to recycle Ruthenium, and I already know that published prices are a means for customers to anticipate costs when they transact business, not an claim that any metal changed hands ever at that price.

I switched to soliciting offers as I became aware that I don’t have enough information to make an offer for trade or sale. I don’t need it, I’d rather have gold. I’m starting to think that $10/gram would work for chips. Lou mentioned $3xx/Toz transactions for tons of Ru. I understand economies of scale.

My expectations have been lowered for any commercial transaction, but someone wanting to make Ru compounds, solutions, salts, might have use for a few grams. I wouldn’t mix it with platinum, but someone else might. I’m pretty sure it something that can be done with a TIG torch.

I’m willing to use 1st class mail for chips under 3 grams on a 50% deposit, balance due by the same method upon receipt & satisfaction. If buyer is willing to risk $5-15 up front, I’m willing to risk 49 cents and a chip. Should the first transaction fail, I refund your money and I’m not accusing anybody of lying until we’re in the thousands, at least.

This solicitation for offers does not constitute an offer to sell. I will respond to offers that seem real, legit, and reasonable. I’m fine accepting further communications by pm or on this thread, as it seems appropriate.

I’m still a newbie. Forgive me for my ignorance. Correct me when make mistakes. Don’t be mean..

Hi all: I spoke to two people at Upstate Coin & Gold. The first worked a commercial desk, which requires a commercial account; the second was the manager of their walk-in retail store, not the same location as the commercial plant.

The retail shop does not have a procedure for accepting metal by post. This solution would be limited to someone within driving distance.

Back