Salts Question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limestonecowboy

I recently processed about 1/2 oz of gold from my cell. I dried the filter cake and dissolved in Hcl-cl.

After filtering I was left with a good quantity of salts which wouldnt pass through the filter.

I did my smb precip which yeilded about 12 gr, and wondered if any Au was lost in the salts.

I tried to process the salts but seem to be going around in circles.

I boiled up some of the salts in hcl and indeed there is a good quantity of gold as can be seen in the pic.

[IMG:1024:768]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn205/Bluejohn/boil1-1.jpg[/img]

I tried to dissolve with hcl-cl but just ended up with salts again shown in the secon pic.

[IMG:1024:768]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn205/Bluejohn/salts1.jpg[/img]

Any ideas on processing these salts anyone ?

My experience didn't include any of the work-around processes, but one thing is for sure. If you'll incinerate the residues, then melt the remaining solids with a good flux, any gold that may be present is likely to agglomerate and be collected. It would require a very fluid flux, perhaps adding some fluorspar (very little), along with soda ash and borax. It might help to use a collector or sorts. Silver comes to mind.

Sorry if this isn't the answer you're looking for. When all you have is a hammer, everything starts looking like a nail! :)

Harold

Incineration ! Of course . Sometimes it takes someone else to see the obvious.

I will try this then perhaps try washing the remaining material in Nitric. Then I can try a recovery with Hcl-cl.

We cannot get Clorox over here in the UK. The nearest 'neat' bleach is Domestos which is coloured and probably contains other substances.

I think this is the cause of execss salts, someone correct me if i'm off the mark.

Cheers Harold.

Worked a treat.

Incinerated the salts in a large melting dish, using a gentle propane torch - Do this outdoors or in a fume cupboard - horrid !

Crushed the brown crispy residue, and dissolved it in Hcl-cl.

1.2 gr of fine tan brown gold powder precipitated.

Magic.

Incineration is one of the best possible tools in the arsenal of the refiner, and often the most overlooked.

Congratulations on your success!

Harold

Latest posts

Back