Silver Oxide

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahmadbayoumi

I have one question regarding the sliver oxide after conversion from silver Chloride

Why not just trying to melt the sliver oxide ?

I know that sliver Chloride is a volatile substance in high temperature so it will volatile during melting leading to great loss silver.

So, is it the same for Sliver oxide ?

Why do I need karo syrup to reduce it to it's metallic form ?

Firstly, unless you're creating the silver oxide directly from silver chloride (the aqueous form) you are very unlikely to get 100% conversion from the chloride(chunky white form) to oxide. Therefore you will still have silver chloride within the oxide. Melting that will still present the problems of melting silver chloride (chunky white).

I believe oxide is also somewhat unstable. That is, it should be roasted instead of hitting it full on blast with a torch or there will be losses as well. And when you roast you'll reduce it to elemental silver anyway. Keep in mind too that even if you can indeed hit the oxide with a torch without losses, in oxide form it's much lighter and more likely to blow out of a dish unless done slowly.

I'm actually going to do an experiment tonight dealing with oxide. I want to see the practicality of creating oxide and then using hydrogen peroxide to bring it to elemental silver. I will be creating the oxide from fine silver. So no cottage cheese forming. My main goal is to see the solubility of oxide in water. I've seen reports of silver oxide being insoluble in water to slightly soluble.

Many thanks for your reply :)

So as per my understanding, I might be facing 2 problems in case of directly melting the silver oxide (After Sliver Chloride conversion using HCl or NaCl):

1- The silver Chloride residual that might be still exist (not converted)
Here, does the usage of karo syrup will solve this problem ?

2- The Silver chloride is much lighter than metallic sliver so using a direct torch might below the sliver oxide out leading to losses

So, I think here if the melting is done with considerable precautions (roasting 1st then using a a light torch flame), we might be able to overcome this issue .. is it correct ?

One more question related to the same topic her:

I have read in some places (and actually watched some videos for local refiners), that we can convert the Silver chloride to sliver oxide directly using iron prices (actually iron screws) + very small amount of plain or tap water and without the need to add sulfuric acid and it did work.

2 AgCl (s) + Fe (s) → 2 Ag (s) + FeCl2 (s)

So, what is the benefit of adding the sulfuric acid to the reaction ,, is it to reduce the sliver oxide to it's metallic form ? or is it to react with the FeCl2 ? and what is the chemical form of the FeCl2 .. is it salt ?

What are the chemical equations for all of these reactions ?

sorry for asking all of these question but I need to understand the benefit and the usage of each added chemical and the reaction equations invloved

There was recently a thread where we were talking about sulfuric and iron. https://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28177

There are also quite a few posts about silver chloride lye method going back years. Please read those threads as they are full to the brim with information about this very subject. Then you can make a more informed decision.

The 2 most common conversion methods are the sulfuric/iron and lye/sugar methods.

Both rely on having the silver chloride ions in intimate contact with the converting agent ions. Which means some agitation/time to insure complete conversion. Complete conversion, (or as complete as possible), can be achieved with either method.

Both have been discussed in detail over the years, the search function will help you find more than you will want to know about them.

Latest posts

Back