Silver processing

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmk88

Dear all,

I have recently finished a 42 gram gold refine. As a result I have a lot of black silver. I thought the silver was nitrates but it’s been suggested it is likely chloride.

I understand the affect of lighting etc. On silver and therefore this may be the case.

I am looking to process the silver and turn to metallic form.

My understanding is the following process should be followed:

1. Mix with sodium hydroxide to oxidise the chloride

2. Mix with glucose

3. Heat

Is this correct?

Also, are there any safety dangers beyond the usual acid working requirements? Is there a risk of volatile reaction upon heating?

Look for another sreetips video, I forgot the title but it’s older and he purposely makes the reaction take off and it gets pretty hot and violent.

Williamjf77 said:
Look for another sreetips video, I forgot the title but it’s older and he purposely makes the reaction take off and it gets pretty hot and violent.

And uses a handheld mixer, which he claims increases the chance of a successful conversion from silver chloride to the oxide, if I remember correctly. He also uses PPE and other safety measures including a fume hood.

Edit to add clarification

Thanks all.

Streetips is the man. Makes everything look so simple. He’s like a classical pianist of refining.

Latest posts

Back