Silver Refining

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colu41

So I found a few old bars for sale that are 94% fine. And they total a little over 900 grams, and for a good price.
I was wondering, since I don't have the equipment to refine, "I do pour my own bars from time to time", but is there a refinery out there that can refine the silver for me and either make bars from it or just send me the raw refined silver? And if so, what would that cost?
I could get these for around $13 p/oz, so would it be worth it to get it refined?

Well I personally dont know. But the seller claims to have had it tested. And it tested 94+. They're very old, and it looks to have Japanese scripture on them.

I think I would rather buy bars from a known seller that are already recognizable as to purity.
Trusting a sellers comments can leave you poor.

Well it is Ebay. Seller has 100% feedback. And I've been a heavy purchaser on Ebay since the beginning of its time, and anyone who has tried to scam me or rip me off, has been dealt with through Ebay Claims, and I've got every penny back. This is one of those deals that is worth the risk, because well, for me there is no risk...I would get it tested, if its fake, I file a claim and get my money back. I've never even had to send the items back to them

I don't think that price will leave you much room to have someone else refine it for you.
That is the main reason to just buy recognized bars from the start.

Per pure Troy oz.

Its 900 Grams. And at 94% purity, would be a little over 27 troy oz.

jimdoc said:
I don't think that price will leave you much room to have someone else refine it for you.
That is the main reason to just buy recognized bars from the start.

Thats what I was afraid of.

Doesn't look like silver bars to me, the patina is more like lead or tin, not silver.
I would not get involved in this auction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Vintage-Rough-Pour-Silver-Bars-900-grams-old-silver-94-to-999-silver-/112587056388

At least, ask for the dimensions of the bars and calculate the density. Then you know if it even is plausible it is pure silver.

Göran

Im definitely asking the seller questions before I even think about it. Regardless if I get this or not, I still wanted to know if there are places that refine for you instead of just buy it.

There are people on here that would probably do it for you. Depending on your location, you would probably have to pay postage as well as the refining. Worth it ?????? I doubt it.

At the current spot price of $16.59 that will leave you just $3.59 profit x 27 toz = $96.93 gross margin.

Assuming it really is exactly 94% pure and someone will pay you full spot and there are no losses in refining. None of which will happen BTW, and then you still have to pay a fee to whoever does the refining.

I don't see how anyone could make any money at all on this one.

Edit to add; And I forgot about any shipping and insurance.

No way thats silver

They must mean its "94-99% silver colored metal"

If I had thay sent to me to refine, and ran ir directly in my cell, I would probably be sending out a bill for fouling my electrolyte with lead.

Buying on ebay is a gamble at best.
I recently watched a video where a guy got screwed over on many many "silver" coins and "gold" ounce coins from ebay that were from "reputable" dealers, in their plastic case and everything.

Which is probably how they stayed reputable for so long, nobody wanted to break their seals and get them scuffed up or whatever.

Anyways, its bunk, stay away from it. I dont even think I would buy sterling on ebay, since there are so msny 925 fakes out there.

Latest posts

Back