Simpler assay method for jewelry - Accuracy ?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noxx

Hi friends,

I am just wondering what is the accuracy of this following method. I know it can not beat the well known fire assay.

-Drill bar
-Weigh fillings
-Inquart with silver
-Dissolve BM in Nitric acid
-Vacuum filter Au powder
-Dry filter paper and weigh

Now, what is the accuracy of this method versus fire assay ? Is it more like 1% of 0.1% ?

Thanks in advance.

since you have to melt to inquart, it isn't that much slower to cupel it. The parting will take the same time either way. Interesting question though, I would guess it is closer to 1%.

Noxx,

I don't like the filter paper routine. It's hard to do accurately and it can be dependent on the type and quality of filter paper used. Instead, I would use a 30 ml Coors porcelain crucible to dissolve the silver and then just pour the solutions off - To me,this is a lot easier than using filter paper. You can use a small beaker for this, but it's easier to see the small black specks of gold in the white Coors crucible and thus not pour them off along with the acid. Also, you can't anneal the gold in a beaker.

Also, instead of the standard 3/1 inquartation, I would use 5 or 6 to 1. The gold is more apt to break up but, by using a weak nitric first, this can mostly be avoided. Also, using more silver will help insure that most all of the silver and base metals will be leached out of the gold with the nitric.

When pouring the acids and subsequent rinses off of the gold, hold the crucible with tongs and pour the acid down a glass rod which is touching the rim of the crucible. That way, the acid will flow more evenly and there will be less of a chance to lose any gold. There's a picture of this in the fire assaying chapter of my book (which you have) on page 48. Before pouring out the acids or rinses, swirl the crucible gently and tilt the crucible a bit to collect all the gold together in one spot at the bottom edge of the crucible. When pouring out the acids or rinses, go slowly so the gold remains at the same spot without moving. If the pile of gold separates, stop pouring and swirl again to re-gather it.

Although it's not as accurate as cupeling (the results will normally be slightly high), because you don't get rid of the base metals before treating with nitric, I have seen people that routinely inquarted the karat gold with silver with a torch. When I didn't have a furnace or lead to cupel with, I tried it a few times with fairly good success. That is the method I will outline here. The most accurate way, of course, is to wrap the sample and the silver in assay quality lead foil and cupel it normally to eliminate the base metals. Whether you cupel or use a torch, use the same procedure as outlined below.

A small electric skillet is ideal for heating the acids and rinses in the crucible. A Corning Ware dish on a hot plate also works well.

Keeping all this in mind, here's what I would do. When it calls for water, use distilled water

(1) In a new cupel (preferably a magnesia one, since they are much more durable than bone ash), alloy the karat gold ( weigh out .25 to .5 grams and record the weight) with a torch so you will have a 5 or 6/1 ratio of silver to gold. Make sure everything is collected into the bead - no stray BBs. Remove the bead from the cupel with the tip of a small pair of electrician's pliers (they are the best type of pliers for this use - just grab the bead and twist to break it loose) and squeeze the bead somewhat with the pliers to break up any cupel material clinging to the bottom of the bead. While still holding the bead in the pliers, use a small toothbrush-size wire brush to gently remove any cupel material. Flatten the bead as much as possible on a clean anvil with a clean ball-peen hammer.

(2) Heat about 20 ml of 1:7, nitric:water in the crucible until you can see some steam. Add the flattened bead. Heat until there is no more reaction (no bubbles coming off the gold). Don't boil. With the tip of a stiff, small diameter, stainless wire, press on the center of the gold. If it is hard, there is still silver in it. If the silver (plus the base metals) is gone, it will usually break up into 2 pieces. If there is still silver in it, add 2 or 3 ml of concentrated nitric and continue heating until there is no more reaction.

(3) Carefully pour off the acid without pouring off any gold. Add about 10 ml of 3:2, nitric:water and let it react for about 10 minutes. Get the acid quite hot but don't boil.

(4) Pour off the acid and repeat.

(5) Pour off the acid and add about 10 ml of water from a squirt bottle while rinsing down the entire inside of the crucible. This will rinse down any silver nitrate solution clinging to the inside of the crucible. Heat (don't boil) until steaming. Pour off and repeat this rinsing 2 more times.

(6) After the final rinse has been poured off, the gold should all be together in a pile on one side of the bottom of the crucible. Carefully, without disturbing the gold, place the crucible on a warm hot plate (skillet) and heat until dry. If you get it too hot, the gold will splatter. Dry it slowly. After you think it it dry ( the color usually gets a little lighter), raise the heat and really make sure it is bone dry.

(7) The next step is called annealing, Since it calls for getting the gold red-hot with a flame, you can't do it in a beaker without it breaking. You can do it in the Coors crucible over a bunsen burner or by gradually heating it with the slowest flame possible from a cheap propane sweating torch. If you use the torch, heat it slowly or the crucible will crack. Whether using a bunsen burner or a torch, just heat the bottom corner of the crucible below the gold until the gold is red-hot. At this point, the gold will lighten in color considerably.

(8) Place the crucible on an insulating firebrick and allow it to cool. If you put it on metal or a cold surface, the crucible will crack.

(9) Weigh the gold and calculate the purity.

Thanks a lot for this useful instruction.

I might just change one thing; instead of using a hammer, I will use a rolling mill. I believe I can make the gold bead much more thinner.

If you use a rolling mill and roll it real thin, you might want to cut back on the silver a bit to prevent the gold from breaking up too much. You might try a 4:1 ratio at first. Some people use 3:1 (the US Mint method is 2:1 !!), but it's hard to leach everything out unless you cupel it and get the gold thin enough - they usually tell you to get it to about .01" thick - the thickness of a business card.

I actually prefer the gold to break up a bit but, especially for a beginner, it's easier for one to lose a little gold when it does.

Another thing to watch out for with the rolling mill is the rolled metal breaking off slivers that you don't see and lose. Make sure you anneal the piece of metal by holding it with a tweezer or needle nose pliers over a bunsen burner flame for a few seconds before passing it through the rolling mill. That will help with the splitting but it work hardens in the mill so you have to re anneal for every pass.

Can anyone tell me how to make first acid i mean to say if i take 10ml of pure acid the how much water ? and also i am using .120mg fine silver in.75 to .100mg gold. Is this procedure good for assing gold karat ?
waiting for your replys.

talalstuvs said:
Can anyone tell me how to make first acid i mean to say if i take 10ml of pure acid the how much water ? and also i am using .120mg fine silver in.75 to .100mg gold. Is this procedure good for assing gold karat ?
waiting for your replys.

I am assuming you are cupelling the samples with lead and that there are no platinum group metals present.

I prefer 1 part 70% nitric acid/7 parts distilled water, by volume, for the 1st acid. The weaker acid works better than strong acid to dissolve any lead that is retained in the bead. Also, the weaker acid is slower and won't break up the gold nearly as much as strong acid. For the second acid, I use 3 parts nitric acid/2 parts water. I don't use concentrated nitric because it has been proven to dissolve very small amounts of gold. I use 3 hot distilled water rinses between the 2 acids and after the second acid. Different books give different mixes for these solutions. I was trained in a large commercial assay lab in San Francisco that had been around since the gold rush and those were the mixes they used. No matter what you use, the acids should be used hot, but not boiling.

You should use a minimum of 3 parts of silver, by weight, to each part of gold contained in the karat gold sample. This ratio is usually recommended to prevent the gold from breaking up. However, I prefer the gold to break up somewhat to assure that I have dissolved all of the silver (and lead). Therefore, I usually use 5 or 6 parts of silver per part of gold. The gold won't break up too much if you use the weak acid first. If you are using white Coors porcelain cups (I use the 30 ml size) to part in, it is easy (with practice) to pour off the acid without losing any small gold particles that have broken loose.

For accuracy, most people recommend a 500 mg (0.5 grams) sample size when assaying karat golds. These should be run in duplicate - 2 samples.

The term is "assaying", not "assing".

I am using test tube to boil acid not beakers. by using 70% nitric 7 water it's take long time to disolve silver to gold isn't it ? i use 50% nitric 50% distalled water in first acid. if i used 500ml nitric then how Ml water ?
and how much does time its take to dislove silver ?

thank in advance

talalstuvs said:

I am using test tube to boil acid not beakers. by using 70% nitric 7 water it's take long time to disolve silver to gold isn't it ? i use 50% nitric 50% distalled water in first acid. if i used 500ml nitric then how Ml water ?
and how much does time its take to dislove silver ?

It shouldn't take more than about 10-15 minutes to dissolve the silver in the hot (not boiling) weak 1/7 nitric, assuming the amount of silver you added was adequate. If you are adding such a small amount of silver and if by gold you mean actual gold, as indicated in your first post above, you'll never be able to leach all of the silver out, no matter how strong the nitric.

If the 100mg of gold was the estimated amount of actual gold in the sample and you added only 120mg of silver, the ratio would only be 120/100 or 1.2/1 - not nearly enough silver. In this case, you should have added at least 360mg of Ag. However, if the 100mg was 10 karat gold, the ratio of Ag/Au would be about 3/1, assuming the karat alloy contained 8% silver - barely adequate. If the karat alloy was 14 karat, the ratio of Ag/Au would only be about 2.2/1, which is not adequate.

To do fire assays, you must be able to do some math. If you want to make up a liter of 1 to 1, 50/50 nitric, you would combine 500ml of standard concentrated nitric (which is about 70% by weight) with 500ml of distilled water. If the nitric you're starting with is less than around 70%, you'll have to make mathematical adjustments and add less water.

More important than the strength of the acid is the consistency of using the same proportions for every assay. Both for the silver and the acid.

Last year I had a client who had trouble with proofs, he was adding 1 1/2 grams of silver to a half gram sample of karat and his silver shot was on the large side so he just added a bit extra, better over than under, right? Well the parting performed differently with different silver ratios. He was also adding a half gram of proof gold for his proofs and adding 1 1/2 plus of silver to that as well. His proofs came out very high and he was making large adjustments to the assays and shorting his customers in the process.

The ratio of gold to silver added in your sample should be mirrored by your proof. His proofs came out higher in weight because proportionally they had a higher gold to silver ratio than the sample so the acid removed lass silver in parting and his correction was off.

I dont like to cupel , they alway absorb some gold and if copper is involved all the gold is absorbed into the cupel and iron gets you an oxide mess If it cracks you have to dig out the bead

packrat said:
I dont like to cupel , they alway absorb some gold and if copper is involved all the gold is absorbed into the cupel and iron gets you an oxide mess If it cracks you have to dig out the bead

It depends on the sample. For karat golds or most any sort of gold/silver/copper bullion, I would always cupel. For most everything else, I would first run a fusion. It sounds like the stuff you're talking about should have put through a crucible fusion first and then the lead put into a cupel. I've never seen copper drag all of the gold into the cupel. Many 1000s of people cupel karat golds that contain and average of about 35% copper, with excellent success. There are definitely gold losses when copper is present but, these probably won't exceed about 0.5% (1/200 of the total gold). For this reason, proofs with a composition close to that of the sample should be run at the same time and adjustments made. If you have a very large amount of copper, some can be retained in the bead and the bead will be somewhat flattened and copperish color. When this happens, you adjust and start over.

What is the makeup of the material you're talking about? What sort of alternative method did you have in mind?

Sometimes, especially in mining, people listen to a local "expert" and take it as gospel. In this case, I would suggest studying a couple of authoritative fire assaying texts, such as Bugbee's "A Textbook of Fire Assaying" or Shepherd and Dietrich's "Fire Assaying." They both have been reprinted and are readily available at a fairly reasonable price.

Back