SMB level dropping

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rival metals

Hi guys,
It's me again.... I have participated out my gold from solution , trying to dry it on the hot plate in my beaker...
But my level op persipitate keeps on dropping🤯
Is this normal?

How long did you wait before trying to dry it? Sometimes it can take a long time to precipitate from a dirty solution son you might want to just wait over night. You can gently heat the solution to get the gold to precipitate a little faster.

I have about 20 litres in solution, dropping it at about 600ml at a time. Waiting about 30 - 40 min before decanting and then placing it on hot plate. Am I to hasty?
Thanks for the help..
Terence

20 liters!!?? How much gold are you expecting from 20L? Yes only waiting 30-45 minutes is too hasty. You need to wait a few hours the solution should get perfectly transluenscent ( it may be colored, but it will not be cloudy). Save the solution in a container after decanting it, after you test the waste solution with stannous and verify all the gold has dropped decant that waste solution and collect any gold you may have accidently poured off. Be patient!!!

Ok, will try. Waiting almost 3 weeks for smb. I hope to get about 50g in total. Any thing less.. I'll be happy... any thing more I'll be ecstatic...
Will wait , but yes my solution not going anywhere, still need to take out platinum and silver. My stannous chloride is a failure. Ordered some and it came in powder form. Do not have access to tin metal at this stage. Will have to refine some . So I tried to mix about 3g of powder with 25ml of HCl ... does not work.
Thank you for you input. Will definitely take it to heart.
Terence

Rival metals said:
Ok, will try. Waiting almost 3 weeks for smb. I hope to get about 50g in total. Any thing less.. I'll be happy... any thing more I'll be ecstatic...
Will wait , but yes my solution not going anywhere, still need to take out platinum and silver. My stannous chloride is a failure. Ordered some and it came in powder form. Do not have access to tin metal at this stage. Will have to refine some . So I tried to mix about 3g of powder with 25ml of HCl ... does not work.
Thank you for you input. Will definitely take it to heart.
Terence

Stannous Chloride... POWDER (???)

Ok understand, I think, ....
I might be high from chlorine gas, or just slow🤯

This tells me how to make proper stannous chloride, it does not say I made a terrible decision. Tin is not freely available here by me. The company's in the city what to charge me R900 for a Kg of 99% tin shot. 7 to 15 days delivery.It's crazy. To put this in perspective it is worth 10 times more than copper scrap.????And it's only because it comes from the USA. I read these posts prior to doing what I did, none of the posts say yae or nay. So if someone can awnser me on this item I will be grateful,... can you make a proper test solution of stannous chloride, just using the stannous chloride powder? And with what would you mix it.
Thank you for your response though, it tells me someone is actually reading everything, and that is awsome.
Terence

The link I gave you shows two "recipes" to use powdered stannous Chloride to make the solution. The one that I posted was from Hoke's book, so I would say it should work, it worked for me.

Yes, you can make stannous chloride solution without any metallic tin, but it will not last as long. Here is a link to Lou's formula A freaking nightmare on 4th Street. Use the dry stannous chloride, HCl, and water as he recommends. The tin powder isn't essential, it just keeps the solution from deteriorating as quickly. Same with the heptane or mineral spirits.

Dave

Do you have any electronic scrap? I'm wondering if you could just use the solder to make stannous. It obviously has to be tin solder. The way I always made stannous was to take a fixed quantity of HCL. Say 50 ml. Then take high tin content solder wire (easy to get here) snip a piece and let it dissolve in the HCL to completion. Keep repeating until the piece of wire cannot be fully digested. What you'll be left with is stannous, the un-reacted wire, and antimony at the bottom of the vessel in the form of black sponge. This is a supersaturated solution. Leaving the tin wire in will ensure the solution NEVER goes bad. There is also no need to filter the sponge as it wont hurt anything. I do this in those little plastic unicorn bottles that are used for things like e-liquid for vaping. This makes it super handy to use dropwise and can be easily closed up and stored.

Note: HCL can hold a ton of tin and is pretty slow to react. This is a procedure best done when you can set it aside somewhere and let it do its thing. It's like watching water boil. Also, it's very effervescent (not violent though) so make sure your vessel is big enough to contain it and is somewhere you won't care that gets a little stannous on.

chubby-gorilla-unicorn-ejuice-bottle-.jpg

Thanks for the tip. How will I know if the electronic scrap used tin solder. I have plenty of computer circuit boards.
Cheers Terence

Tin has a very low melting point, so it is in almost all solder. You can test it in the same way you use stannous chloride to test for gold.

Dissolve some of the solder in some HCl.

Dissolve some gold into a small amount of HCl and bleach or HCl and peroxide. Allow the gold solution to gas off any excess Cl gas. This is a solution that you know contains gold.

Now add a drop or two of each together. If it turns purple, you know the stannous solution works.

Dave

Latest posts

Back