SMB vs Stannous Chloride

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cap1

Hello All,
It is well known that using stannous chloride as a test for pm's is a standard practice. Would not using a concentrated solution of smb give the same indications. Both actually drop pm's out of solution and you see it as a dark stain indication but the stannous (tin II chloride) does have a shelf life of 4-6 weeks, liquid smb does not have a shelf life and a batch should be fresh for a long time.
Am I wrong in my thinking?
Cheers

No.
SMB drops "for the most part" Gold out of solution by releasing SO2 in contact with HCl.
Bubbling SO2 through the solution do the same thing.

Sometimes for various reasons this do not work as intended.
By dropping the PMs you do not have a clue what is still left in solution.
And there is no indication color.

Stannous is very sensitive and have clear colour indications.
Purple - Gold
Orange - Pt
"Green" - Pd (slightly more complicated)
Rose red, special conditions - Rh
Brown --> too much SMB, copper and some more I think

I just tried it using a dilute (~0.4 g/L) HAuCl4 solution and a 20% SMB solution. I dipped filter paper into the gold solution and added several drops of the SMB. Not much happened - after a little while I thought I might be able to see a very faint discoloration on the paper but it wasn't much. Contrast that with stannous which is much more sensitive, also tests other precious metals, and doesn't stink with SO2.

That would be close to invisible.
The particles from SMB would at best be in the micron range and the colour would be brownish.
Opposed to the vivid purple of the nano sized particles of Stannous.

Principally speaking one can "drop" PMs with stannous by adding it to the solution, the problem is that it is so fine it will stay in solution.
And it won't separate the Gold from BM and PGMs.

Hello All,
It is well known that using stannous chloride as a test for pm's is a standard practice. Would not using a concentrated solution of smb give the same indications. Both actually drop pm's out of solution and you see it as a dark stain indication but the stannous (tin II chloride) does have a shelf life of 4-6 weeks, liquid smb does not have a shelf life and a batch should be fresh for a long time.
Am I wrong in my thinking?
Cheers
You don´t think about it in the wrong way. All you said is true.
But as it goes many times, it need deeper insight. Because from your assumption, it would all work well... But there are several facts you did not considered - which are determinal to this idea.

Most important omitted fact is what happen to gold when it contacts SMB/SO2 solution and stannous chloride. Gold has very high oxidation potential and could be dropped with thousands of substances which are available. Formaldehyde, oxalic acid, SMB, hydrazine, hydroxylamine, glucose, stannous chloride, iron (II) compounds, zinc, copper, iron, borohydrides, oxidizable phenols etc...

All of these "drops" are unique in the way the gold particles form. Think about that particular step. Gold is in the form of ions in solution, isolated one from another in the liquid. When you add the reducing agent (SMB or stannous), that SINGLE separated ions turn into monoatomic particles of gold (keep it just as simplification, it is more complicated). But if it stopped there, you cannot be able to ever recover any gold from solution, because we simply cannot filter single atoms from liquid.

What happen next is agglomeration. These persumed monoatomic gold particles start to clump together to form larger agglomerates of particles, firstly few nanometers, then larger. And this is the point.
All of these reducing agents act differently in the terms of producing aglomerated particles or nanoparticles. Different physical processes on the phase interfaces changes polarities of the particles, differing the way they agglomerate together to nanoclusters.

With SMB, the solution has different properties for agglomeration, giving the particles that are prone to clump together due to specific action of this reducing agent.
With stannous chloride, the "clumping" effect is not so strong, so the gold form ultrafine/nanoparticles suspension which scatter and block the light from coming through the solution - and you see it as violet or black colour (depending on the size of particles formed).

That is why testing the gold presence with SMB is not the best idea. Few larger particles cannot be detected with your eyesight, because light scattering is minute. On the other hand, billions and billions of small particles of gold formed with stannous chloride are clearly visible, because they scatter the light effectively, and you can clearly see the colour change.

This is by the way also influenced by concentration of the gold in solution. You can notice that if diluted gold solution is tested with stannous, you get faint violet colouration. When it is strong, colour is more black and you can after some time see the black sludge forming on the bottom of the plastic spoon, if you are testing by dropping stannous to the gold solution (not on the paper, which is more common practice).

Also, when you drop gold with SMB from diluted solution, in most cases very fine particles are formed, because in their close proximity, there is far less other particles which they could clump with. From more concentrated solutions you often get dense and well packed precipitates - because of the same phenomena - more available particles in proximity=bigger agglomerates=easy decantation and filtration.

Also when solution is dirty and full of other junk ions such as iron, copper and awful lot of chlorides... Forming particles have hard time to "travel" through all the mess. Also, ionic particles of dissolved copper and other metals in solution adsorb on the surface of the particles of gold, blocking the effective aglomeration due to ionic repulsion. Not in all cases, but that´s what happens most of the times :)

Last edited:
One other point to bear in mind is that stannous is very good at detecting very very small amounts of gold in solution and gives you a good visual indication of that gold still in solution.
Try taking a couple of drops of a pregnant solution and add a drop of water and test using filter paper and stannous keep doing that time after time and you wI’ll find out how sensitive stannous is for testing.

I'll Hijack this thread since there is not much more activity and the topic fits.

I have been helping a friend a few hours away,
he has a tricky ore the needs very specific conditions to find the gold in assays.
First his gold do not go into lead for some reason, copper on the other hand works fine.

He had assays done in London and other places and the gold is there, more than 40g a ton in some places.
In a microscope the gold is visible, locked into some clear resin looking substance, maybe some oxide.

We did some smelting tests last week with strange results,
first Lead then Silver and at the end Copper 2 of each.

Half the Lead disappeared in the smelt, not much prills (Flux issue?), Silver was mostly complete but some prills, same with copper.
The lead was coupelled and disappeared into something not measurable with the equipment at hand.

The Silver was dissolved in nitric and returned some powder that ended up as one yellow button and one white,
the Copper yielded two white buttons. There were more but not essential here.

We stopped this path temporarily and started a test leach with neutral saline Hypochlorite.
And my friend started testing with stannous in a way I have never seen before,
he add a few drops in a spoon and let the leach slide into the spoon from the top.
No visual reaction, but when he bang the spoon with his fingernail a few times, a black residue emerges in the bottom of the spoon.
This is a constant thing done multiple times.
The only blank so far was after copper cementing.

Sorry for the lengthy intro;)

So here is the question:
Is this something with very low concentrations or do we have some strange chemistry going on?

Reghards Per-Ove

Attachments

• Stannous south.jpg
    Stannous south.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 11
Some added info:
We assumed the SNH (SalineNeutralHypochlorite) leach
had issues with SMB since it did not work even after adjusting the pH.
Well it seems to work, but just very slow.
It has now dropped light brown precipitate several days after.
Will try electrolysis since it is very conductive due to the salt.

No.
SMB drops "for the most part" Gold out of solution by releasing SO2 in contact with HCl.
Bubbling SO2 through the solution do the same thing.

Sometimes for various reasons this do not work as intended.
By dropping the PMs you do not have a clue what is still left in solution.
And there is no indication color.

Stannous is very sensitive and have clear colour indications.
Purple - Gold
Orange - Pt
"Green" - Pd (slightly more complicated)
Rose red, special conditions - Rh
Brown --> too much SMB, copper and some more I think
nice explanation, my stannous solution has expired apparently, it turned white, I have to make another one. Should I filter and keep the white stuff (is it Tin Chloride ?)

nice explanation, my stannous solution has expired apparently, it turned white, I have to make another one. Should I filter and keep the white stuff (is it Tin Chloride ?)
No. Just start fresh. The white stuff is probably hydrolyzed already. Put some fresh tin into a bottle and make new.

Back