Smelting gold

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corro69

My blob has a grey/black color to it. Even the borax glass is black. Any idea why and how to remedy this?

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• _20170412_162345.JPG
    _20170412_162345.JPG
    339.5 KB
  • _20170412_162312.JPG
    _20170412_162312.JPG
    402.7 KB
Gold recovery from ram fingers and CPU in Ap solution. Then Used muratic acid and nitric acid to dissolve gold and stumpout to drop the gold

jimdoc said:
What exactly does "My blob" consist of?
Did you buy it from Ebay?
Gold foil from finger and CPU that I recovered myself using ap. Refined using aqua regia. Stumpout was used to drop the gold.

About 470 fingers. Then 25 processors. Gold from the 2 batches were then combined

The cpus were original pentium and a few other ceramic and some green fiber.

Looks like you still have base metals in there to me.
You probably rushed things with the CPUs before the base metals were all gone.
Even mixing CPU types is a mistake.

jimdoc said:
Looks like you still have base metals in there to me.
You probably rushed things with the CPUs before the base metals were all gone.
Even mixing CPU types is a mistake.
How can I remedy this?

There is a good chance, that you coprecipitated copper by using too much SMB. A way to avoid this, is to add not much more than a good gramm SMB per gramm gold expected. Then check with stannous chloride if more SMB is needed.

As far as I understand from your description (if it is comlete) you did some other mistakes. Where did you learn the process?

Did you wash the gold? How did you wash?

solar_plasma said:
There is a good chance, that you coprecipitated copper by using too much SMB. A way to avoid this, is to add not much more than a good gramm SMB per gramm gold expected. Then check with stannous chloride if more SMB is needed.

As far as I understand from your description (if it is comlete) you did some other mistakes. Where did you learn the process?

Did you wash the gold? How did you wash?

Bjorn Hi :D

If you clean your gold in HCl then any copper coming out with the SMB by way of drag down is virtually eliminated. It never brings that much down anyway no matter how much SMB you use. Looking at the crucible, no washing of the gold was done at all.

Jon

You need to look up the washing procedures on here Corro. Alternated HCl/water washes will remove the vast majority of base metals from your gold.

Hope that helps.

Jon

Latest posts

Back