Sodium Chlorate /HCl for mixed PGMs

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NanoCat

Does anyone have a good procedure for Sodium Chlorate leach for mixed PGMs? I was able to get good indication of Pt with NH4Cl then Pd with DMG and then found Au in the DMG product. The SMB drop for Au wasn't complete. So I'm starting over with the mixed PGMs.
I'm really low on Nitric and live in the middle of nowhere to get more. I'm running the Sodium Chlorate adds slowly otherwise the Chlorine fumes are runaway. Doing this outside as the fume hood just can't handle the volume.
I thought I saw Sreetips do the NaClO3 /HCl on Pt but can't find that video now.

Does anyone have a good procedure for Sodium Chlorate leach for mixed PGMs? I was able to get good indication of Pt with NH4Cl then Pd with DMG and then found Au in the DMG product. The SMB drop for Au wasn't complete. So I'm starting over with the mixed PGMs.
I'm really low on Nitric and live in the middle of nowhere to get more. I'm running the Sodium Chlorate adds slowly otherwise the Chlorine fumes are runaway. Doing this outside as the fume hood just can't handle the volume.
I thought I saw Sreetips do the NaClO3 /HCl on Pt but can't find that video now.
HCl/ Peroxide and HCl/pool chlorine works well on PGMs as well, as long as they are finely divided powders.

After considarating, I have to clarify, maybe it will not work well on Rh, I really do not know.

Problem with H2O2 is you need addition funnel and it adds to the total volume. Problem with hardware store pool Chlorine is the Inert ingredients that settle to the bottom and then you can't see your metals anymore.
I'm looking for a NaClO3 saturation level in HCl. And I think Sreetips was running his cold so the Cl wouldn't gas out of the beaker so fast.
Maybe you have Sreetips email and can rattle his cage for me so he can see this thread?
Thanks, Nano
PS. it was an important point that DMG will drop other metals at a minor level. The Au in there was a pleasant surprise although it was a contaminant.

Problem with H2O2 is you need addition funnel and it adds to the total volume. Problem with hardware store pool Chlorine is the Inert ingredients that settle to the bottom and then you can't see your metals anymore.
I'm looking for a NaClO3 saturation level in HCl. And I think Sreetips was running his cold so the Cl wouldn't gas out of the beaker so fast.
Maybe you have Sreetips email and can rattle his cage for me so he can see this thread?
Thanks, Nano
PS. it was an important point that DMG will drop other metals at a minor level. The Au in there was a pleasant surprise although it was a contaminant.
Send him a PM, his name in here is Kadriver.
You can use the pool chlorine as a Chlorine generator and bubble the Chlorine through the HCl.
This will not add anything to the liquid.
I even think Sreetips/Kadriver did that too.

Good idea. Thanks. BTW, the Chlorate/HCl is progressing nicely. Going to filter it today and find out what's left on the bottom.

Update: the Chlorate leach went for about 4 days. Got the Au and some Pd but massive amount of Pt left. Maybe I will try using H2O2 this time as the Chlorine fumes from Chlorate are just too much to handle.

His 2018 video on the long slow process of extracting platinum group metals from catalytic converters is here:

He uses an HCl leach, and uses a tube to carefully inject a small amount of liquid bleach solution (hypochlorite) to generate chlorine gas at the bottom of the bucket. Later he adds solid sodium chlorate from the top. The solution is kept cool to maximize the time the chlorine stays in solution.

Thanks,
Yeah, that's a good one. But maybe I'm remembering a different one where he used the Sodium Chlorate in iced HCl.

Latest posts

Back