• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Sodium Hydroxide

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banjags

I am contemplating purchase a large bag of sodium hydroxide... But I will not be able to use it fast enough. Any takers for $1.50 per pound plus shipping? I would need so sell about 25 - 30 pounds.

I am buying the bag locally. So luckily I do not have to worry about that. I am aware of the processes to ship hazmat materials. Thanks

stripping the solder mask from boards for deplating. I have a decent board of pci/agp cards that are completely gold plated under the mask and so far the only way i can find to get that gold off is to strip off the mask. It seems to take a lot of sodium hydroxide to do this. or at least a alot of draino crystals

Purchased my Sodium Hydroxide from Home Hardware, 5 Kg for under $10.00. Apparently It's not that difficult to buy here in Canada.

Isn't Sodium Hydroxide Lye? You can buy Lye just about any hardware store and probably craft stores too.

Actually, sodium hydroxide is caustic soda.

Potasium hydroxide is Lye.

But the slang term for sodium hydroxide has become "lye".

And it is not that easy to get, here in the states. It used to be sold as red devil drain cleaner at the grocery stores. I heard they pulled it.
I have a large bag myself. Hope it is not going bad. What if I was to seal it in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid?

Randy

Sodium hydroxide has an afifinity for carbon dioxide. The general idea would be to keep as much air away from the pellets as possible so they do not go bad... and keep in a low humidity area.

Platdigger said:

And it is not that easy to get, here in the states. It used to be sold as red devil drain cleaner at the grocery stores. I heard they pulled it.
I have a large bag myself. Hope it is not going bad. What if I was to seal it in a 5 gallon bucket with a lid?

Randy

Ahhh I thought Potassium Hydroxide was Caustic Potash or Potash Lye I thought they were too different things and not a misnomer (wrong spelling I know)

EDIT Wikki says Lye is a corrosive alkaline substance, specifically, sodium hydroxide (NaOH).

Sodium hydroxide is a hazardous material, and shipment of this item is governed by USDOT regulations (49CFR173.154 Exceptions for Class 8 corrosives).

Sodium Hydroxide is a chemical used in the manufacture of meth-amphetamines. Which puts this Chem on the Meth Watch List.

So is ether, I got in trouble buying cases of quick start once :) We had an old diesel that would only start with a blast of it. We didn't want to fix it either so quickstart was the way to go. Princess auto had a sale we bought a couple cases. Got a visit for that one :)

Platdigger said:

Randy

If you leave it exposed to the air, it will absorb Carbon Dioxide and convert to Sodium Carbonate. The plastic bucket will work fine.
You can tell if the pellets get chalky looking rather than translucent, then the percentage of Sodium Carbonate is increasing.

Water absorbtion is another problem with air exposure. The pellets get sticky and cake up.

Back