Solvent extraction problems

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GCP 11

Hi, I am experimenting with solvent extraction. I am able to achive a colour change from clear to a copper colour using Butyl Diglyme when I mix the filtered leach with the BD. I understood that if there is a colour change in the BD the you have transferred Gold chloride to the BD solvent. I go to strip the BD with Oxalic acid but cannot get a result. The information I have read says that the BD should be a gold colour. Does anyone know about this?

GCP 11 said:
Solvent extraction problems
Hi, I am experimenting with solvent extraction. I am able to achive a colour change from clear to a copper colour using Butyl Diglyme when I mix the filtered leach with the BD. I understood that if there is a colour change in the BD then you have transferred Gold chloride to the BD solvent. I go to strip the BD with Oxalic acid but cannot get a result. The information I have read says that the BD should be a gold colour. Does anyone know about this?

Please don't double post your question will be seen and answered.
You can use the search button, Butyl Diglyme has been discussed before.
I have not used it so I can not help, but I am pretty sure a search will give you answers.

Jim

I have posted a detailed process for the extraction and recovery using BDG aka DBC ( Dibutyl Carbitol).

Here's the latest link where I discussed it:

BDG Process

You'll find a lot of other discussion searching for DBC, BDG, and Dibutyl Carbitol.

Steve

Thanks Lasersteve, for the quick reply. I noticed the article by Lou that he adds concentrated ammonia to the Oxalic acid. On the company website that makes this product (BUTYL DIGLYME solution) they state to strip with oxalic mix. Could someone please clarify. Thanks.

You really should keep the other thread going instead of this one, since Steve already gave you an answer on that one.
This is why you should not double post, it splits the answers.

Jim

GCP 11 said:
Thanks Lazersteve, for the quick reply. I noticed the article by Lou that he adds concentrated ammonia to the Oxalic acid. On the company website that makes this product (BUTYL DIGLYME solution) they state to strip with oxalic mix. Could someone please clarify. Thanks.

Lou is making ammonium oxalate, as Lou indicates, I got quicker results using oxalates as opposed to straight oxalic acid.

Read your safety data sheets for oxalic acid and oxalates.

Steve

Latest posts

Back