Some strange things about CPUs

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plamenppp

I was studding the prices at http://www.thriftybits.com and I noticed something strange. Look at he picture of the Pentium 3 & AMD fiber chips in the price list. Something is missing. It is the silicon part! I know that pure (by pure I do not mean 100% but a little less) silicon is used in solar battery (photovoltaic) making. Is there anyone who buys silicon for this purpose?

If I am wrong the administrator should delete this post.

the silicon waffers are not that expensive in contrast with their production costs...

i have been dealing a little bit with solar panel in the past and came to know that the raw materials are only a friction of the cost of the panels....

i have been stipping (yes in a cell) a few of those today... i belive the only precious part in them are the golden AMD writing and corners...
maybe some gold in the solder..

Actually Silicon is refined into ingots. Intel had some info on the process. Lots of checks and balances but could be profitable

Yesterday I noticed something strange about two cpus - both AMD Duro

They had difference in the color of the pins. The one was lighter than the other. Why is this? Is there difference in the amount of the gold plating?

The quality of the picture is not good but the change in the color is not due to the flashlight.

Maybe, the darker one was plated on a day when the gold plating system was a little out of whack, but the final color, thickness, etc., were still within their parameters. Maybe, they were plated in different facilities. Maybe, one was plated by Joe and the other by Frank.

goldsilverpro said:
Maybe, the darker one was plated on a day when the gold plating system was a little out of whack, but the final color, thickness, etc., were still within their parameters. Maybe, they were plated in different facilities. Maybe, one was plated by Joe and the other by Frank.

hey keep my name out of this, I had nothing to do with it. :mrgreen:

DNIndustry said:
Actually Silicon is refined into ingots. Intel had some info on the process. Lots of checks and balances but could be profitable

Perhaps with a virgin scrap supply at the scale of Intel they might be worth saving.

How many grams of silicon are in a ton of CPU's? And who would you get to pick them out?

qst42know said:
DNIndustry said:

Perhaps with a virgin scrap supply at the scale of Intel they might be worth saving.

How many grams of silicon are in a ton of CPU's? And who would you get to pick them out?

Good question. I suppose the ones who make solar panels. They need silicon. They get from the sand. The silicon from the sand is not pure.

Latest posts

Back