Source of tin for stannous chloride

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntersarrow

Hello everyone.

First time poster here, will keep it sweet and short :)
Im still in the research phase, and gathering materials, and in my prepping stages
ive been looking at making stannous chloride for testing and found a good source of tin
i thought id pass on.... i work in a scrapyard and recently saw a whole bunch of wine bottle caps
come in, you know the ones that you have to peel back to get to the cork? Most of them are ally
these days but a few are still made of tin. you can tell because they will be much softer than the ally ones.
Tested with XRF gun and was 100% tin. We got about 3 bins full so ive snagged a handful which should be more than enough. Hope it helps someone if they keep an eye out for it.. Looking foward to posting result when i have enough material to process :)

Thanks for reading...

Hello, New member with alot of questions. One is, if I use lead free solder to make stannous chloride, will the silver in it influence the results? thanks, Jim

Beercan 51 said:
Hello, New member with alot of questions. One is, if I use lead free solder to make stannous chloride, will the silver in it influence the results? thanks, Jim

No. The silver won't dissolve in the dilute HCl.

Dave

Latest posts

Back