Sources of lead?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hey guys.

I'm trying to get a bunch of lead. Like in the 3,500 - 4,000lbs range. I'm making ingots or ballast for a boat me and my brother are working on.

Anyway, I know that wheel weights from cars are lead, and I have had a little success getting tire shops to give me or sell me cheap there lead, but most of them already are on recycling plans. So I'm slow goings. Only got about 50lbs so far.

Does anyone have any other ideas for where to get lead. I know old batteries have lead in them, but I dont know how much work would be in the recovery.

Any ideas on lead sources?

old batterys really do not yeild much lead and they may contain dangerous metals that you could breath when melting the lead.

What about rocks? I know the English used to use flint.

Thats is a lot of lead and the price on lead is high right now, from what I hear it takes a lot of lead to keep the bullets flying.

The problem with rocks is two fold.

One they're not as heavy. So you need more.

And two. lead melts easily and can be manipulated into place for my use.

So I think I'm going to have to stick with my lead hunt.

Try reading this guy's story:
http://www.rutuonline.com/html/the_keel.html

X-ray shielding and wheel-weights.
(lead pipes and roofing lead are other possible sources)

Perhaps you can ask the tire shops who they give their lead to, and approach them directly. Find out what the scrap metal yards are paying for lead scrap, and offer a cent or two more per pound. Maybe they'll even let you have it for less, if you're willing to load/transport it yourself...

-junkelly

The problem not with the lead
but with lead salts, acid and
lead oxides remaining after
you take the lead.

Back