Starter Project Refining - Help Please

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

California

I want to start refining Gold. Can someone advise me on a starter project.

Goal - have the outcome be a quantity of 24k gold.

Sources - I reside in Fresno Ca. so I can find a source of black sand, I can purchase scrap jewelery from online auction or the public.

I have printed out Harold V's pdf file.

Thank You

California said:
I want to start refining Gold. Can someone advise me on a starter project.

Goal - have the outcome be a quantity of 24k gold.

Sources - I reside in Fresno Ca. so I can find a source of black sand, I can purchase scrap jewelery from online auction or the public.

I have printed out Harold V's pdf file.

Thank You

You should probably read a lot before starting, in the mean time you can collect whatever type of scrap you wish to process/refine.

memory fingers, using HCl/peroxide, to get gold foils, refine gold foils with HCL/bleach, this is an easy starting project.

using Hokes book getting aquanted with reactions,

make up stannous chloride, and use your foils for known gold test solution.

Laser Steves website has most all of the information you will need to get a little golden color started.

reading Hokes, book and the forum and soon you will have all kinds of projects going,

i have been putting fingers i cut of of ram and memory sticks in hot hcl in a slow cooker .wait a few days . then dilute with water. filter through a coffee filter.dry and put the gold foils in a plastic bag . when i am ready to try a.r. in the summer i should have enough foils. must do more reading first. you must read up on saftey before you try anything.

wrecker45 said:
i have been putting fingers i cut of of ram and memory sticks in hot hcl in a slow cooker .wait a few days . then dilute with water. filter through a coffee filter.dry and put the gold foils in a plastic bag . when i am ready to try a.r. in the summer i should have enough foils. must do more reading first. you must read up on saftey before you try anything.

Just a sugestion, but find you a plastic jar with a plastic lid to put them in. You will enjoy them better.

I do nearly the same :) always keep some foils in small glass bottle with plastic lid and filled with HCl to amuse guests. Its fabulous if you shake bottle and watch them swirl around in sunshine...

patnor1011 said:
I do nearly the same :) always keep some foils in small glass bottle with plastic lid and filled with HCl to amuse guests. Its fabulous if you shake bottle and watch them swirl around in sunshine...

Am I the only one that wonders how the guests would react if someone dropped the bottle?

Probably you are. In this times we tend to see dangers and enemy everywhere. :)
And I am the same as I never let that bottle hold to anyone.... Gold is gold.

You could also wash your foils and keep them in plain tap water for the same effect.

Latest posts

Back