Steel for a melting dish?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flurrinator

I have absolutely no type of crucible or dish for melting. I had 4 graphite crucibles and I used them all up by melting some silver. I refined some 14k gold jewelry and have a nice bit of gold powder... and no way to melt it. Are there any other options such as steel? I'd prefer to make my nugget now rather than wait for one to come in the mail and risk spilling my gold powder or something.

Put it where you won't spill it and wait for a proper melting dish.
Why mess things up when all you need is a little patience?

Probably the best idea to put it somewhere safe and wait. I just thought maybe it was possible to find an alternative. I would rather be safe and have my gold than try something that isn't going to work and manage to lose my gold. Just had to ask!

Gold will alloy with iron, so if you managed to melt the gold in steel, it would start to dissolve the spoon and blend together. As Jim said, put your gold in a safe place and wait for a melting dish.

Dave

If you can't wait for the crucible, the best option in my opinion is to burn a piece of wood with the torch then melt the gold in the burnt wood. It will work as a graphite crucible

Crucibles are a couple of bucks on ebay if you get them from China. They work perfectly well. Everything I have ever melted is in these including the bars on my profile picture. Order a few of them and wait the couple of weeks it takes for them to arrive. That's my advice.

I guess it could be fun to make a dish to melt in. One could go out and dig around until you find good clean clay deposit. Bring some home then dry it. Crush it. Screen it. Crush it. Screen it. Wet it. Work out all the air bubbles so it doesn't explode in your face. Dry it. Fire it. Clean it. Glaze it. Then hope you did all that right so that you don't lose all your hard won metal.

Or just spend a few bucks and order one. Then do it the easy way.

The hard way sounds like a good challenge though! :D

Just be sure to let us drool over the button when you're done! :lol:

The best choice is to get a proper melting dish as already stated. Alternatively, you can use a piece of kaowool to form a crude dish in a pinch. Noxx posted a video once of this.

Steve

Latest posts

Back