Sticky Black Clumps

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joem

Can anyone tell me what the sticky black clumps are when I redissolve black powder into mauriatic + Bleach?
These lumps are almost gum like and take a long time to dissolve and some don't dissolve.
This powder comes from a mix of black powder from ceramic dishes, jumper pins foils, and clipped plated pin foils. This is also a mix of SMB dropped and copper dropped powder.

I redissolved to increase purity due to mix of powder sources.

Joem,
It seems that there are multiple precipitates from several different source materials. Hearing that, it seems plausible that since all of these were precipitated or cemented you may have some PGM given your difficulty in re-digesting them completely. However hearing your description ”sticky black clumps” I would incinerate your precipitates to a red heat to be sure you are not dealing with an organic contamination.

I think this may be a nylon or such plastic. Looking at the jumpers, which believed were still unplated metal, with a magnifying glass turned out to be a de-plated yellow plastic of some sort.
This may be the sticky clumps. I guess I will filter them out and incinerate them.

Latest posts

Back