Storing and transporting nitric? bad idea?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlgdave

I can buy 70% technical from a local refiner, 5 bucks a gallon, I just read the MSDS and searched the forum but cant find an answer to this?
Is it a no no to use a dedicated, brand new, 5 gallon plastic gas can for nitric. I would of course keep the nozzle out and decant into smaller containers as I use it, but I want to get 5 gallons at a time as I have to drive 40 miles to get it.

Appreciate the advice and replies

mlgdave

mlgdave said:
I can buy 70% technical from a local refiner, 5 bucks a gallon, I just read the MSDS and searched the forum but cant find an answer to this?
Is it a no no to use a dedicated, brand new, 5 gallon plastic gas can for nitric. I would of course keep the nozzle out and decant into smaller containers as I use it, but I want to get 5 gallons at a time as I have to drive 40 miles to get it.

Appreciate the advice and replies

mlgdave

Stainless steel works much better.

mlgdave said:
yea, I saw a thread right after I posted this, I will see if i can delete my thread

mlgdave
It should remain, for those that don't understand that nitric should never be transported, stored, or dispensed from common plastic containers. Many react by becoming very brittle. What you don't want is a container of nitric acid rupturing while it is being handled.

Harold

In Houston, about 5 years ago, I bought nitric often, and I'm convinced the company I bought from was adhering to the laws. At first, you could buy 5 or 15 gallons in plastic (PE) dell drum type containers, but 300 series stainless was required for 30 or 55 gal drums. The rules then changed and plastic could only be used for 5 gal. Also, you could pick up the acid.

Hello All,

I'm looking to do an experiment using Aqua Regia (AR) and was wondering if there is any material out there besides glass and ptfe that can temporarily withstand AR corrosion, while I do the expirement.
I know that all plastics are not corrosion resistant to AR, but does anyone know if an extra thick polypropylene or polyethylene pale can withstand AR corrosion for 6-8 hours?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

The jewellery supply store here sold me 1 litre bottles of 75% nitric, 80% sulfuric and ~70% H2O2, plonked all three into a plastic carry bag and handed them to me across the counter.

Can you imagine the mess if they dropped out the bottom of the bag in the street and all split their containers open? It would have been a "run and deny" incident.

Latest posts

Back