Sulfamic acid at ambient temperatures

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huggybear

I planned to use sulfamic acid as an alternative to the boiling down method to deNox.

Turns out when using sulfamic acid you still need to heat the solution to 90℃.

Because I am dealing with large volumes, and heating isn't possible, I'm wondering.. is sulfamic acid is effective at all at ambient temperatures?

I assume you are using heat to dissolve your metal...?

After you remove heat from your reaction, you can (carefully) add it then while it's still hot. Plus any undissolved Sulfamic acid crystals will get filtered out when you filter the solution.

Are you premixing your AR ?

Unfortunately this is a bulk solution that I received from a 3rd party and am trying to treat. They have added excess nitric too which makes my life difficult!

Unfortunately this is a bulk solution that I received from a 3rd party and am trying to treat. They have added excess nitric too which makes my life difficult!
If you can not heat it, you are basically left with two options.
Add sacrificial Gold or Copper to consume the Nitric (weigh the sacrificial metal), or set up a SO2 generator and bubble SO2 through the solution.
This will precipitate the Gold which will redissolve immediately and such consume the excess Nitric.
After the Gold has precipitated it may be good to let the SO2 off gas.
Then re-refine.

The third option is to let it evaporate by itself, but that will take time.

To add to yggdrasils comments I would start by adding some sulphamic, even cold it will convert some of the nitric, following that you can add more material to see if the acid is still reactive or add any precipitant but do so very slowly as the reaction can be violent, maybe take a few small samples and try various ideas to see what works and or happens.

I planned to use sulfamic acid as an alternative to the boiling down method to deNox.

Turns out when using sulfamic acid you still need to heat the solution to 90℃.

Because I am dealing with large volumes, and heating isn't possible, I'm wondering.. is sulfamic acid is effective at all at ambient temperatures?
huggybear,

Please don't double post. It's hard enough to follow your doing in one thread.

https://goldrefiningforum.com/threads/gold-recovery.31786/post-337285

Latest posts

Back