Super fast gold precipitation

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sayf

I saw a non detailed video for some one who precipitated gold with smb , after he added the smb he started shaking the solution during adding another liquid to the solution , and after few seconds the gold has totally precipitated , so am sure that liquid has accelerated the precipitation
Any body knows what that liquid used to accelerate the precipitation ??

If it was hydrazine I’d advise caution it’s not to clever to mess with.
In honesty why does it matter how long the gold takes to precipitate, most will drop in 15 - 30 minutes if done properly from fairly clean solutions,the rest can be collected next day.

I have used SMB dissolved in water and had drops that were very fast. Caution is needed as it can boil over extremely fast and is done at near boiling temperatures. Some that have settled clear in less than one minute. I have had it happen using Copperas dissolved in water and hydrochloric acid, usually leaves a darker color solution but clear of sediment within seconds. Without knowing the details it can be hard to guess what is being used or going on. There is some discussions on other precipitants on the forum but most are buried pretty far in the past.

I learned to read and search the forum, then go look on YouTube or other sights. By checking the forum first I could see if someone from the forum had a video out thereby aiding in getting help from someone I potentially knew could assist me if needed.

Ascorbic is a good precipitant so long as you have no palladium in your solution, it drops fairly quickly and leaves nothing in the solution.

nickvc said:
Ascorbic is a good precipitant so long as you have no palladium in your solution, it drops fairly quickly and leaves nothing in the solution.

I have been wanting to try ascorbic acid for a while. I know Jon was a big believer of using it. What is the problem with palladium when using it.

sayf said:
I saw a non detailed video for some one who precipitated gold with smb , after he added the smb he started shaking the solution during adding another liquid to the solution , and after few seconds the gold has totally precipitated , so am sure that liquid has accelerated the precipitation
Any body knows what that liquid used to accelerate the precipitation ??

Care to post a link for this video?

Shark said:
nickvc said:

I have been wanting to try ascorbic acid for a while. I know Jon was a big believer of using it. What is the problem with palladium when using it.

Jon uses it because I showed him how good it is, palladium I believe will co precipitate, I think it was Lou who pointed this out and if he says so I’m not going to argue 8)

I have found SMB to work treat but how much you dilute your pregnant gold solution appears t matter. I diluted with water and ice to 4 times the volume before adding SMB and the gold was very fine and took a while to completely settle. I don't bother with stannous though as I reprocess all waste solutions.

I rarely dilute my solutions in honesty only with rinses through the filter and then make sure all oxidizer is exhausted and then add the precipitant, strong solutions seem to allow the gold to settle faster, when I have done weak solutions then yes the gold can take a long long time to fully settle.

Thanks Nick, I can live with that. I just didn't want to have something that might go "bang" later on.

can one reprocess already precipitated aqua regia with ascorbic after having first precipitated using smb, to get the last 1 or 2% out
First a welcome to your first post.

Next, do not use all caps or all bold text, it is considered shouting and not very polite.

Lastly, you should get all Gold but traces out on the first precipitation.
If a Stannous test shows you still have appreciate levels of Gold left, redo the precipitation.
Next put your solution in the stock pot where you will cementbout your values at a later time.

Good morning Guys

a thing that worked for me

This is for a clean gold in solution ,With out base metals.

I precipitate gold with SMB from AR

I filter the gold powder.

then I re process the Solution by adding Zinc powder
and it’s work very good cement out the gold
Paper or cotton Filter
and
after wash few time with hot water
I add a bit of destilled water and HCL

to dissolve the Zinc and get the gold out
it work well
and if You think that some trace of gold sill in the solution
re process again with Zinc powder or put it in the stock pot.

Last edited:
Good morning Guys

a thing that worked for me

Paper or cotton Filter
and
after wash few time with hot water
I add a bit of destilled water and HCL

to dissolve the Zinc and get the gold out
it work well
and if You think that some trace of gold sill in the solution
re process again with Zinc powder or put it in the stock pot.
That's like a double stockpot, but with a much more reactive metal and an extra step of HCL rinse.

as Yggdrasil said:
Lastly, you should get all Gold but traces out on the first precipitation.
If a Stannous test shows you still have appreciate levels of Gold left, redo the precipitation.
so add a bit more SMB, done. the rest is for the stockpot.

That is all fine & dandy - IF (the BIG IF) the solution had/has nothing but gold (&/or PGMs) dissolved in it to start with

However - if the solution has ANY base metals dissolved in it (copper in particular) it will cement base metals below zinc out of the solution as well (copper in particular)

Therefore - you are much better served using copper to recover any "trace" PMs (gold &/or PGMs) in the AR after precipitating with SMB as copper will not cement out any other base metals that may be in the solution

Kurt

Latest posts

Back