Tantalum

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badastro

Tantalum capacitors can sometimes be found in electronics as an alternative to aluminum electrolytic capacitors (which don't have anything of value).

Tantalum is expensive, and there are published papers dealing with recovery of tantalum from capacitors.

The question is who buys tantalum capacitors that aren't in huge lots?

About 20 years ago, I found tantalum electrolytic electrolytic capacitors to be commonly found on circuit boards. On this link, a discussion of a newer variety of these is found about halfway down the page.

http://www.ami.ac.uk/courses/topics/0136_ec/index.html

It's been a long time but, there were several types. Some contained Ta foil and some a Ta slug. They were all quite heavy compared to to the Al type. They looked the same as the Al type (round metal cans with a lead coming out each end - mounted parallel to the board) but, they could easily be distinguished by their color. The Ta type were much darker gray colored than the Al type.

As mentioned in the link above, some Ta capacitors had shells made of silver to prevent leakage of the chemicals (sulfuric acid?) inside. These were very white in color, since silver is the whitest metal on the planet. I remember 2 silver types. One had a red plastic plug on one end and the other had a green plastic plug. One (if I remember right) ran 40% silver (I think the red ones) by total weight and the others ran 25% silver. I could be off on this. It may be 25% and 15%, respectively. I may be thinking of the silver button batteries, which ran 40% silver. Nitric acid can be used to dissolve the silver capacitor shell. The tantalum will be unaffected.

Don't attempt to dissolve or melt the tantalum (5463 deg F. melting point) Only the metal itself, as is, is worth money. If you dissolve it (sodium hydroxide), it will be impossible to convert it back to metal and it will be worthless. Also, if you heat the entire capacitor, it will explode, due to the liquid trapped inside.

Back then, Ta metal scrap was worth $12/pound. I think it went as high as $200 several years ago and then dropped back down. I found on the net that it was worth around $70, sometime in 2005. I wasn't able to find a current scrap price.

As common as these were in about 1990, there still should be a lot of them around.

This board claims to buy tantalum scrap.

http://metalsplace.com/board/?s=62&req=n

You have to register just like this board. :evil:

I wish I had all the tantalum caps and plated gold we threw away back in the 90's

Most of ours were dipped type. And yes they do explode!!
Just hook one up backwards!!

Happened to me a couple of times!

You could take a pair of pilers and break the coating right off to get the slug out.
It would take awhile if you had a bunch of them!!

Dgoldboy

Tantalum (Ta)
As mentioned on the previous pages on niobium, these two metals are usually found together. It was identified in
1802 by the Swedish chemist, Ekeburg, who found the tantalum oxide ores so difficult to dissolve that he called
the metal after the mythical Greek "Tantalus."
Tantalum is one of the most corrosion resistant materials available. The first ductile tantalum was developed in
1905 and until 1922, most applications were limited to certain instruments, particularly surgical.
Tantalum forms very stable anodic oxide films which make excellent electronic capacitors. For example, an
oxide film provides both corrosion resistance and the dielectric properties that give the electrical flow "valve"
action needed in a capacitor.
Tantalum comes principally from tin slags, and tantalite and columbite ores. Tantalite-rich ores are being mined
in Canada.
What are some of tantalum's applications?
Mill products such as sheet are made into corrosion resistant chemical equipment such as bayonet heaters, vapor
condensers, multi-tube heat exchangers, thermowells, rupture diaphragms and orifices.
Tantalum plugs are used to repair perforations in glass-lined steel equipment. Tantalum components are used in
sulfuric acid concentrators, in temperature controllers for chromium plating and in distillation and condensation of
acids and acidic chemicals.
Many surgical applications have been opened to tantalum because it is inert to body fluids and tissues. It is used
for surgical implants, for suture wire, cranial repair plates and for wire gauze for abdominal muscle support in
hernia repair surgery.
Tantalum carbide is added to some grades of cemented carbides to make hard carbide cutting tools which have a
low coefficient of friction and a high resistance to mechanical shock. The back cover lists some of the major uses
of tantalum and tantalum alloys.
Isn't its corrosion resistance a factor in many applications?
Tantalum's inertness to many chemicals has fostered its use as a corrosion resistant material in severe acid
environments. It is resistant to sulfuric, hydrochloric, and nitric acids, organic chemicals and many liquid metals.
Thus it is used in heat exchangers, spargers and reaction vessels in organic reactions, particularly when corrosive
inorganics are involved.
Applications are determined by inertness to chemical attack at moderate temperatures, reactivity at high
temperatures, good strength and ductility and by the dielectric properties of its electrolytic oxide film.
Are tantalum capacitors widely used?
The electronic industry is a major market for high purity tantalum, particularly for capacitors. Tantalum
capacitors provide higher volumetric capacitance efficiency than other capacitor materials and perform better at
both low and high temperatures.
Also, tantalum combines with certain gases at elevated temperatures and will release some of these gases when
heated in a vacuum to a higher temperature. This property is extremely useful in electronic tubes. And, good
high temperature strength, low vapor pressure and the gettering effect have made tantalum an important metal in
special-purpose vacuum tubes where it removes residual gases. It can be formed and welded into anodes and
grids, which are cleaned easily in strong acids. However, capacitors are the major electronic use of tantalum and
the development of higher-capacitance powders has broadened the field of application. With these powders, less
is needed to make a unit of a given capacitance rating; high capacitance permits miniaturization.
Tantalum capacitors operate in computers and military hardware, color television sets, radios and cell phones.
What about tantalum alloys?
Tantalum alloys that have good high temperature strength are used in many aerospace products. However, all
tantalum alloys oxidize rapidly and surface coatings are required for elevated temperature service in oxidizing
environments.
Tantalum and niobium alloy with each other and with nickel, cobalt, chromium, tungsten and many other
elements. Tantalum alloys have good fabricating characteristics.
With such a high melting point, how is it fabricated?
The high melting point and reactivity of tantalum prevents its consolidation to near finished shape by casting.
Thus, many fabricated shapes start from powders. However, the technology of powder metallurgy has advanced
to such a high state that there is no loss of flexibility. In fact, even if tantalum did have a lower melting point,
PM processing would still be used because of other advantages.
Tantalum powder can be compacted mechanically or isostatically. Compacting presses are used for
smaller shapes such as bars, which are resistance sintered. Isostatically pressed shapes can be either resistance or
induction sintered.
Tantalum ingots up to 1600 Kilograms (3500 lbs.) are made by arc or electron beam melting of compacted and
sintered bars. Electron beam melted ingots are noted for their high purity, excellent ductility and good
weldability.
PM bars or melted ingots are extremely ductile. They can be cold rolled into sheet and foil and can be formed
and drawn into many shapes.
Tantalum can be lap or seam welded, TIG welded and electron beam welded. It is used in multi-tube heat
exchangers in corrosive environments in the chemical industry. It is also used to clad steel and copper pipe and to
line chemical reaction vessels.

Tantalum uses

Electrolytic capacitors
Heat exchangers
Bayonet heaters
Thermometer wells
Vacuum tube filaments
Chemical process equipment
High temperature furnaces components
Crucibles for handling molten metal and alloys
Cutting tools
Aerospace engine components
inerts Surgical implants
Alloy additive in superalloys

A long time ago I took some Tantalum capacitors and heated the slugs with a torch. They burn very nicely by themselves once you get them hot. Tantalum Oxide is worthless compared to the metal.

It takes a lot of energy to reduce the Oxide and the metal can't be melted easily.

goldsilverpro said:
About 20 years ago, I found tantalum electrolytic electrolytic capacitors to be commonly found on circuit boards. On this link, a discussion of a newer variety of these is found about halfway down the page.

http://www.ami.ac.uk/courses/topics/0136_ec/index.html

It's been a long time but, there were several types. Some contained Ta foil and some a Ta slug. They were all quite heavy compared to to the Al type. They looked the same as the Al type (round metal cans with a lead coming out each end - mounted parallel to the board) but, they could easily be distinguished by their color. The Ta type were much darker gray colored than the Al type.

Here are some pics for the guy who asked. The first photo shows a couple of axial lead tantalum caps. The easy way to tell them apart from electrolytics is the bead where the lead attaches to the body on the positive end. As you said they are noticeably heavier than electrolytics, and they normally have a clear plastic wrap.

The second photo shows some of the dipped type tantalum caps. Here they're multi-colored but they are often solid colored and can be almost any color. Often they're the same yellowish color as cheap monolithic caps but can be told apart by the polarity marking since monolithic caps are non-polar.

Back in the early 80's when I had my first computer tech job (prior to intro of the IBM PC), we mainly serviced Commodore PET, Apple ]['s, and my coworker still serviced the occasional S100 box that came in. The high schools often had the electronic class upgrade the memory on their Commodore PET motherboards to save money. Commodore discouraged this by drilling holes through the motherboard where a couple of the additional 4116 RAM chips would go. Still they'd get in there and bridge the traces with wirewrap wire to the floating pins of the RAM chips. And for decoupling, well a cap is a cap right? Every now and then we'd have one brought in dead and find a tantalum cap installed backward that had eventually shorted. Sometimes they'd work for weeks or months then suddenly short. Sometimes they'd pop and catch fire. Gotta love those analog power supplies. Good times!

macfixer01

Macfixer You are one cool dude with that knowledge. Sounds like you learned it all the hard way to. :wink:

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the compliment Aflac. Just trying to give something back for all the knowledge I keep discovering here. I haven't attempted any recovery or refining yet. I'm still buying scrap and winnowing out the valuables from the chaff mechanically anyway. I need to get busy on making my first bead though.

macfixer01

We used to hook a small Tantalum cap backwards across the power supply input as a welcome to new guys. You should see the look on someones face when they finished a repair and powered-up. Those caps make a nice bang. Small signal diodes work well too.

The last reply reminded me of a story I heard of an electronic repair of a ham radio that had an extra unused switch. The guy wired in an electrolytic capacitor backwards to the switch and told the new owner that everything works but DON'T mess with that switch. He said he was talking to the other ham on the air when there was a long silence and then an admission that he just tried flipping the switch and POW. No harm done but I'll bet it got his attention.

Years ago when working at an electronics assembly factory, I heard the results when a backwards capacitor made it through the inspection and exploded when powered up in testing. It probably only took one time before you learned to check the polarity before powering up.

Back