Tech grade vs reagent grade Nitric

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snail

Anyone have experience with refining silver with tech grade nitric? I recently used reagent grade and was pleased with the lack of chlorides. Does tech grade work as well?

Dale

Dale,
Unless you do quantitative analysis, Technical grade should be fine. You WILL get silver chlorides but they should be minimal. Also, reagent grade is much more expensive than technical.

For 40 years, I have used tech. grade nitric to refine gold and silver, with zero problems. I even used it for parting in fire assaying. I don't ever remember finding chlorides in tech. grade nitric. If you do find chlorides, you need to change suppliers. For our purposes, reagent grade is a huge waste of money, at about $50 for a 5 pint jug.

It's a little less concentrated, but if you make it exactly as the recipe states, it will work great. Use distilled water where the recipe calls for water. Be sure you keep the mixture at -5 C for at least an hour to get all the sodium sulfate out.

Steve

If properly stored it should remain potent indefinitely. You can check the MSDS on nitric acid for the proper storage conditions.

Steve

Back