Testing 4 silver, how far off a I?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser613

Trying to test a pin out of some telephone relay pinboard for silver plating, was suggested to cover qin full strength bleach, and look for rapid tarnishing

After an HR in Clorox I couldn't notice any change in appearance, so I decided to add a portion of hcl to solution, vigorous reaction, immediately turning solution bright yellow,

After a few hours, the solution cleared to a light bluish green, the pin was stripped of coating to clean brass, and there was a significant (for a single pin) amount of white solid hanging near the bottom

At this point my thinking is, the white solid is an insoluble metal chloride, either silver or lead,

What can I do to confirm one or the other, for this small test solution, without having to separate and dry the solid?

All chemicals were of standard household concentration, idk if that would qualify this solution as a weak or concentrated acid, in regards to solubility

copper(I) chloride will dissolve in HCl.the white salt will dissolve into solution giving a green or brown solution depending on concentration...
Lead chloride is not very soluble in cold water but becomes much more soluble in boiling hot water, as the wash cools it will precipitate needle-like lead crystals so the cooled wash water can be decanted and reheated and reused to dissolve more lead chloride salts.

The remaining silver chloride insoluble in HCl, insoluble in cold or hot water, once washed will turn dark in the sunlight a good indication that it is silver.

Latest posts

Back