Testing for Sn (tin)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Joe , how are tricks?
I hope your well!
I have been looking at these types of test papers for a while , I've heard mention of them from one of the pro's here ( please forgive my ignorance , I can't remember who! ) and they look handy , 8) ;

http://tinyurl.com/7h6vere

I'm not educated enough on the matter to be able to comment on any chemical tests for the presence of tin in solution , but I would guess from what I've read that if there were higher levels of tin present it should be visible to the eye , meta stannic acid in nitric for example.
I'm super keen for one with experience to chime in , as Johhny Five would say , "More input!" :lol:
All the best with it and kind regards ,
Chris :mrgreen:

(Edited spelling)

I can tell if tin is in my solution when I try and filter it, it is either slow, or just sits there refusing to move.

I suppose if someone had tin in a chloride solution, a sample of this in a spot plate may turn purple if gold chloride was added. (Like a reverse stannous chloride test), I am just speculating here I have never tried this to see.

CACOTHELIN SOLUTION: To prepare - for Tin Test.
1. Fill one ounce bottle about 1/2 full of pure water.
2. Add Cacothelin powder equal to about 2 or 3 navy beans.
3. Shake bottle to help dissolve .
STABILITY: Keeps well; but as use only 1 drop per tin test 1/2 ounce lasts long time; so if stood over three months check stability before testing unknown ores. To check see Stannous Chloride below.

There you go!

I do not know much about Cacotheline, but it seems to be a reagent for testing many metals not just tin, I have no idea where to get any, and as of yet am not really concerned about trying to get any. I try to eliminate tin in my solutions containing values, I also recognize when I do have tin in solutions and understand how to deal with it, so for now I have no need to buy a reagent to test for tin.

Cacotheline is made by reacting nitric acid on a substance that comes from a tree in asia, brucine, which is also used in medicine’s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brucine

Hi All,

Just out of curiosity I started looking this up. There is not much information available, but then I ran into this document.

Monograph on Green Chemistry Laboratory Experiments. Go to page 70 for details.

When testing, violet is what you're looking for. It also shows and alternative test for Tin (Sn).

I did also find a few prices for Cacotheline (C21H21N3O7) on the web. Prices are rather steep I'd say. The lowest I found was $50SGD/g and a Sigma-Aldrich price came in at $220USD/250mg. (P.S. SGD = Singapore Dollar, so this would be somewhere in the region of $35USD I think) And this I guess explains why nobody uses it, knows about it nor wants to know about it. :lol:

More importantly, this publication shows several long lists with a large variety of tests on Acids, Alkaline solutions and I also saw a reference to flame colours for a variety of metals. The initial 60 pages deal with reactions and preparations of several of the used reagents/chemicals. But no preparation method for Cacotheline (C21H21N3O7)

I thought some of you might be interested in all this so I placed a link.

P.S. Is it ok to just place links in GRF to publications on the web elsewhere or do we need to obtain permission from the publisher first? Any guidelines, and/or comments would be appreciated.

Joey

butcher said:
I can tell if tin is in my solution when I try and filter it, it is either slow, or just sits there refusing to move.

I suppose if someone had tin in a chloride solution, a sample of this in a spot plate may turn purple if gold chloride was added. (Like a reverse stannous chloride test), I am just speculating here I have never tried this to see.
:lol: this would work but the other test is better. I created 20 litres of a beautiful purple solution from a chloride leach of an ore that contained Tin as well as Gold.

Cheers Wal

Back