The guts of a Sony 500 recorder

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alondro

Supporting Member
This one was in the attic for 45 years! Plugged it in, doesn't work, and after checking Ebay and finding that selling it for parts I'd only get $50 MAXIMUM (the shipping, meanwhile, is over $100!) I decided to heck with it and began stripping it apart. I've sold heavy stuff on Ebay, and it's quite annoying to ship. $50 ain't worth the effort!

This is the entire internal mechanism. It's got some nice vacuum tubes and mounts, so those I'll remove and sell them (can get some decent money for those). But I also see lots of old-style electronics. Plenty of silver-plated bits I spied, along with the silver parts contained in the switches. But there are other parts I'm not certain of, since I've never dismantled such an old machine. Are all those grey components (such as the ones marked 'RIVER') tube capacitors? Are the green ones resistors? I found a few gray components that are CLEARLY resistors, as they have the banding. But the others I'm not sure of at all.

I'd appreciate input on what could be recovered from this machine, since I'm simply not familiar with what went into electronics components from this long ago.
IMG_3072.JPGIMG_3073.JPGIMG_3074.JPGIMG_3075.JPGIMG_3076.JPG

This one was in the attic for 45 years! Plugged it in, doesn't work, and after checking Ebay and finding that selling it for parts I'd only get $50 MAXIMUM (the shipping, meanwhile, is over $100!) I decided to heck with it and began stripping it apart. I've sold heavy stuff on Ebay, and it's quite annoying to ship. $50 ain't worth the effort!

This is the entire internal mechanism. It's got some nice vacuum tubes and mounts, so those I'll remove and sell them (can get some decent money for those). But I also see lots of old-style electronics. Plenty of silver-plated bits I spied, along with the silver parts contained in the switches. But there are other parts I'm not certain of, since I've never dismantled such an old machine. Are all those grey components (such as the ones marked 'RIVER') tube capacitors? Are the green ones resistors? I found a few gray components that are CLEARLY resistors, as they have the banding. But the others I'm not sure of at all.

I'd appreciate input on what could be recovered from this machine, since I'm simply not familiar with what went into electronics components from this long ago.
View attachment 60693

View attachment 60694View attachment 60695View attachment 60696View attachment 60697
Second photo, NCC makes capacitors. Ohm sign on the gray cylinder means resistor.

Janie

Pic 2 - red question capacitors ? --- no - they are resistors

Blue question resistors ? --- no - diodes (indicated by white stripe on one end of green tube - which tells you the direction of current flow through the diode)

Pic 4 are resistors

Pic 5 is a capacitor

Nothing of any real value

Kurt

Pic 2 - red question capacitors ? --- no - they are resistors

Blue question resistors ? --- no - diodes (indicated by white stripe on one end of green tube - which tells you the direction of current flow through the diode)

Pic 4 are resistors

Pic 5 is a capacitor

Nothing of any real value

Kurt
Then it looks like I'll focus just on the obvious silver parts, such as the switches.

If the vacuum tubes work then there maybe a collectors market for them.....but I agree, selling on eBay is a pain, I stopped trying to sell years ago.

From what I can see in your pictures, I don't see very much PM's.
Yeah, I need to find somebody with a tube tester kit. I see plenty of sales of tubes just like these on Ebay. Looks like a profit of $3/tube on average. That'd be $30 from the tubes I've taken out of this. And the sockets, if I can remove them intact, are worth just as much. So I could get $60 from just those small parts when selling it intact would only net me $50.

Back