Tin precipitation

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sayf

Hello dear friends,
i have a noob question, if i precipitate the tin thats dissolved in HCL using aluminum foils will it be an elemental tin which i can directly melt it, or it would need some kind of processing before melting it
thanks.

Short answer - yes that "should" work

I say "should" because I have never tried/done it using aluminum to cement out the tin & then melt the cemented tin - however I have used zinc to cement tin from solutions & then melted the cemented tin

However - because tin is so reactive you likely will not get a perfects tin cement - some of it will likely be tin (that will melt) but some of it will also be in a state of oxidation (which wont melt well) meaning some of it will melt - but some will likely turn to a black goo

So you will likely need to smelt it with a "reducing" flux to get a good melt of the tin &/or to slag off any oxides

Also - the acid needs to be VERY WELL washed out of the cement - & - melting should be done ASAP after washing out the acid

Kurt

Latest posts

Back