Titanium transisters?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austexjwlry

My dad is in Montana where he has access to large amounts of Titanium turnings, the little shavings from manufacturing titanium transisters. Have thought about melting in induction furnace but would need to use argon, or nitrogen or something to form block/ingot, makes great jewelry!
Anyway you might have some titanium in you scrap from transisters.

Wayne

Umm, transistors are not made of titanium. Lots of other things are, like aerospace parts, and especially jet engine components.

Jon

Yes, Titanium use is generaly for high temp applications.

The price of titanium metal powder (99.95%) is about $100/lb.

Thanks Aflac!

I haven't seen my dads source yet. Local bike shops throw away quite a bit of titanium also. I get their old bike chains for making tri-metal knife blades etc.

Do you know any way to reduce titanium oxide to titanium metal chemicaly or good site to start learning. I have source of large amounts of chrome & magnesium oxide etc., could be worth much more as pure metal. Like it or not I'll have to seriously study chemistry, just have to do my homework!

Thanks again!

Wayne

austexjwlry said:
My dad is in Montana where he has access to large amounts of Titanium turnings, the little shavings from manufacturing titanium transisters. Have thought about melting in induction furnace but would need to use argon, or nitrogen or something to form block/ingot, makes great jewelry!
Anyway you might have some titanium in you scrap from transisters.

Wayne

In my other hobby (pyrotechnics), titanium is used for spark effects. Titanium sponge is added to flash powder to add a nice spray of golden sparks to the bang and flash of salutes. Titanium is also used to enhance the tails of rockets, gerbes, tourbillions, hummers, and so on. Coarse turnings might be good directly for larger rockets and gerbes, or can be broken down into smaller chips eventually by ball milling. You might consider selling some of the turnings (cleaned of any coolant or oil) on ebay for use in fireworks. I've never seen anywhere near the $100/pound mentioned but $15-$20 a pound is likely.

Firefox is all but out of business thanks to the CPSC, but I see Skylighter still sells titanium for around $17-$18/pound. Hell if a scrap yard would pay $100/pound for titanium I'd sell them the sponge or the fine spherical titanium I paid $10/pound for.

macfixer01

Back