To everybody that shared knowledge with me

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldmember123

I would like to say Thank you again. I had some nitric acid sitting im a jar in my living room with a lid on it eating away at some IC chips and it was their for like 2 days. And me and my wife started getting a light cough and sore throat. Well i realized the fumes were going all the way into our bedroom. And so i went to check the jar out and i had the lid on but i swirled it around to see if the epoxy was eating away and i barely got a whiff of the gas it produced and it made me feel dizzy and sick ! It had that chlorine smell and i learned my lesson Big time ! I accidently got 2 whiffs and i think if i would have gotten a third one i might have died or got even more sick ! I mean i thought i was gonna pass out. Just from swirling the acid around inside the jar with the lid on and the toxic gases it produced still got me all sick ! It was a close call. Me and my wife got our lungs checked and we are ok. This was some time back but the gases that nitric acid produce and no Joke ! They are definitely extremely dangerous ! So i threw away everything my acids my gold my beakers and everything else. Because i did not have a good lab set up or fume hood ! Now i understand the importance of using a lab ! So i have learnd my lesson ! I should have listened the first time. So when i have a full lab set up away from my living residence then i will attempt an extraction ! But i posted this for any new people that do not understand the Leathal fumes that Nitric acid produces after its been eating metals and plastics for a couple of days ! Its no joke very dangerous gasses it can make you pass out and die in seconds ! Its nero toxin ! Yes Lesson learned !

Another good one for the 'why can't I get a simple answer to my simple question thread!
Before building your lab and fume hood, discuss it here to prevent design mistakes that will cost you time and money to correct, or create dangerous situations for others around your house.
Good call to stop and thanks for sharing this experience with us!
Well done!

With a little time and thought and if you have an outside space you can build a lab without upsetting your neighbors or poisoning anyone or anything , it will take more equipment and cost and a more complicated set up but it can be done, sealed reaction vessels with inline scrubbing for instance , a home built scrubber if you have the room, these have been discussed and details are here on the forum.

Another good one for the 'why can't I get a simple answer to my simple question thread!
Before building your lab and fume hood, discuss it here to prevent design mistakes that will cost you time and money to correct, or create dangerous situations for others around your house.
Good call to stop and thanks for sharing this experience with us!
Well done!
Thank you Martijn

Latest posts

Back