Tools to buy and make.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie

I'll add a couple of cents worth here as well. I bought a White's DFX about 3 years ago and have found a total of about $50 in face silver. a couple of hunderd dollars worth of spendable coins, No gold and thousands of pop tops.

(1) Get an old skinny screwdriver out of the tool box with a bad tip on it and put it on the grinder and make it into an icepick with a good handle. This will be your new best friend for probing for coins unless you want to dig a hole the size of Kentucky to recover a dime. Most of the time you can just pop a coin out of the ground without digging.

(2) Get yourself a plastic table place mat. Put all your dirt onto it and then just fold it and refill the hole. Great for public places like grassy parks.

(3) Get a pair of garden shears. Allows you to dig a small hole straight down by cutting roots that will get in the way.

(4) Do lots of reasearch, this is 75% of hunting. Talk to old timmers in town and find out where people got together for county fairs, church tent meeting, etc.

(5) When you see a construction company diggin up an old sidewalk in front of old building take off work and get your detector. Most often there was a board sidewalk there before the cement one that is being removed and you will find coins that was lost years ago.

(6) A nickle, gold and pop tops give off almost the same reading.

I read your post and have to tell you that you that your suggestions are right on.
I never thought about the table cloth idea but I now use one all the time.
I can't beleive that I am your first reply. Good luck!

Ken

i just got a f75 and learning how to use it, how do i look for nuggets with the setting on this?

Back