Vintage Radio Boards

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlainsScrapper

I've been holding onto these guys for a while, and ws wondering if, aside from saving transistors and tantalum capacitors as well as the IC Chips, is there anything else I should remove from these boards?
I was also wondering about the boxed components in the last picture, what are these guys exactly, and are they worth saving?
Also, do these ceramic disc caps contain any silver?

Attachments

• 20230721_092448.jpg
    20230721_092448.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230721_092854.jpg
    20230721_092854.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230721_092530.jpg
    20230721_092530.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
If they are that old boxed componentents should have some traces of silver, you can tell by the colors what most of those things have, google is your friend but you need a name.

If they are that old boxed componentents should have some traces of silver, you can tell by the colors what most of those things have, google is your friend but you need a name.
True true. I have no idea what they are, because they aren't even labeled on the boards themselves. Would they be axial leaded capacitors? I don't see any "C" markings on the circuit board, or polarity signs on the boards.

I've been holding onto these guys for a while, and ws wondering if, aside from saving transistors and tantalum capacitors as well as the IC Chips, is there anything else I should remove from these boards?
I was also wondering about the boxed components in the last picture, what are these guys exactly, and are they worth saving?
Also, do these ceramic disc caps contain any silver?
Resistors can have gold plated end caps. Rheostats can have silver plated wipers and resistive tracks. Disk capasitors can have silver used as the electrodes, same for the hollow tube capasitors. The boxed components are inductors, no precious metals.

Janie

Attachments

• aviary-image-1675978472565.jpeg
    aviary-image-1675978472565.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2023-02-03-20-00-38-1.png
    Screenshot_2023-02-03-20-00-38-1.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 1
  • FB_IMG_1675718378828.jpg
    FB_IMG_1675718378828.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2023-07-21-14-04-29-1.png
    Screenshot_2023-07-21-14-04-29-1.png
    335.1 KB · Views: 0
Resistors can have gold plated end caps. Rheostats can have silver plated wipers and resistive tracks. Disk capasitors can have silver used as the electrodes, same for the hollow tube capasitors. The boxed components are inductors, no precious metals.

Janie
Sometimes the inductors have little tube capacitors tucked into a slot under the bottom of them, and those are almost always silver-plated. You just pop the box off and look at the underside for a tiny tube with two very thin silver wires.

I also yank apart any switches and tuners. Sometimes they have silver-plated metal contacts. A few times, to my surprise, I even found gold-plated contacts. But not in basic radio boards like these; those contacts were in some form of industrial electronics boards.

The neatest things were inside little red or black boxes of multiple tiny switches, I suppose used to select various circuit paths for different uses of the boards. Inside those were tiny gold-plated balls and contacts with gold-plated tips.

Thank you all so much for this information. Just to confirm on the third image I drew some red boxes, but I also see some boxy components as well. For the drawn boxes, these are inductors?

Thank you all so much for this information. Just to confirm on the third image I drew some red boxes, but I also see some boxy components as well. For the drawn boxes, these are inductors?
I did not see the two components with the red square until I enlarged the photo, my apologies.
One is a tantalum bullet, the other is polyfilm capacitor.

Janie

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-07-22-14-18-06-1.png
    Screenshot_2023-07-22-14-18-06-1.png
    138.7 KB · Views: 0
I did not see the two components with the red square until I enlarged the photo, my apologies.
One is a tantalum bullet, the other is polyfilm capacitor.

Janie
Thank you so much, Janie! I took both off the boar and did see markings at the very bottom, and once I saw KEMET, I knew they were tantalum! They make really high quality, durable caps. Great manufacturer. I did look up axial polyfilm caps , and I do see the resemblance. Once again, thanks a bunch for that help, it's always so cool to learn something new.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230722_220329_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20230722_220329_Firefox.jpg
    760.8 KB · Views: 0
On top of the tantalum epoxy caps, it looks like I have quite a few TO-92 transistor packages to take off these boards as well as some with gold plated legs. Some are dipped with epoxy as well as being the TO-18/39 style as well. Never have seen quite so many varieties in just 3 boards. Super cool!

Sometimes the inductors have little tube capacitors tucked into a slot under the bottom of them, and those are almost always silver-plated. You just pop the box off and look at the underside for a tiny tube with two very thin silver wires.

I also yank apart any switches and tuners. Sometimes they have silver-plated metal contacts. A few times, to my surprise, I even found gold-plated contacts. But not in basic radio boards like these; those contacts were in some form of industrial electronics boards.

The neatest things were inside little red or black boxes of multiple tiny switches, I suppose used to select various circuit paths for different uses of the boards. Inside those were tiny gold-plated balls and contacts with gold-plated tips.
I did remove one of those ones and I saw that component, very cool! Are the wires leading to the cylinder silver or just silver coloured? The tube was about as fragile as an eggshell but had a nice silver appearance so I saved it :)

I did remove one of those ones and I saw that component, very cool! Are the wires leading to the cylinder silver or just silver coloured? The tube was about as fragile as an eggshell but had a nice silver appearance so I saved it :)
I'm not sure about the wires. I assume they're silver because they're so thin, ductile, and silver-colored. If they were any other metal, they wouldn't conduct electricity well being so thin. But I just dump them into the rest of my silver-plated component canister. I've never processed the capacitors by themselves

Back