Waste treatment of sulfuric acid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stella polaris

I have just dismantled a number of car batteries in order to get lead for usage as collector metal. The battery acid collected can be disposed, for free, but i got an idea. Can I treat the acid, with limestone, and gain pure gypsum (to be used as a fertilizer or constructon) without any lead tracers of toxic levels? Or in an other way: How clean is used battery acid?

You will not get much lead that can be used at all if the batteries are bad.
I did this once and only once, I only got the 2 posts and connecting bar to melt anything from.
The plates were so sulfated they were crumbles and flake and just a mess.
Note this battery had been sit with the caps off in Grandpa's driveway for years, right where he set it down putting in a new one.
It is way better to just turn in as a core or sell whole at the scrap yard.
They do a good job recycling them, even the entire case gets used in the program and gets new life.

You will not get much lead that can be used at all if the batteries are bad.
I did this once and only once, I only got the 2 posts and connecting bar to melt anything from.
The plates were so sulfated they were crumbles and flake and just a mess.
Note this battery had been sit with the caps off in Grandpa's driveway for years, right where he set it down putting in a new one.
It is way better to just turn in as a core or sell whole at the scrap yard.
They do a good job recycling them, even the entire case gets used in the program and gets new life.
The "sulfated plates" are actually litharge, if I'm not mistaken.

I believe battery acid is about 30%.
I was walking around thinking it was about 3% so there you saved me. God knows where i got it from . I blame the alzheimers. 30% is much easier since its just to cool it down and filtrate. I will let it stand to the winter and see what happens when minus degrees.

I looked it up on WIKI, thank you for asking a question, I learned something new.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead–acid_batteryIn discharged state the plates are (covered in or completely, not sure) Lead Sulphate and the electrolyte is mostly water. The sulfate is tied up in the lead suplhate.
so to exctract both lead and sulfate (or sulfur?), you need to convert it somehow. just converting to gypsum will be a challenge i think.
There might be a way though.
Then you still have to make sure your lead content is below acceptable levels, which you have to look up for your country. The 0.4%Pb at 30% strength and 0 degrees Celcius might still be 1000 times too high. I do not know. Check it first.

Charging the battery should convert one plate into lead and the other in lead oxide, which can be reduced to lead in a smelt. you would have to drain the acid when the battery is charged.

What the risks are of draining a charged battery is not clear to me, and should be investigated before you try it or try it with extra safety precautions. I think without the electrolyte, there can not be a galvanic effect and the plates can not discharge when touching... again; I THINK.

Then you still have to make sure your lead content is below acceptable levels, which you have to look up for your country. The 0.4%Pb at 30% strength and 0 degrees Celcius might still be 1000 times too high. I do not know. Check it first.

The table you posted shows figures in ppm. 0,4 ppm at 0 deg and 30%

Edit: read the wiki. If discharged the acid might not be 30% if i understand rigth. Must get hold of a density meter.

Last edited:
Then it could be within limits.

It is WIKI, and needs to be checked, but it says:

Discharge[edit]​

A lead-acid cell with two lead sulfate plates. Fully discharged: two identical lead sulfate plates and diluted sulfuric acid solution
In the discharged state both the positive and negative plates become lead(II) sulfate (PbSO
4), and the electrolyte loses much of its dissolved sulfuric acid and becomes primarily water.

Uh clueless, but first rule of recycling batteries is discharging them, I'd lack the cojones to try and touch it charged i seen enough lithium explosions. Edit: However it is quite interesting to know effects of recharging it.
And rather than fire I would fear electric hazard in this case.

Last edited:
Uh clueless, but first rule of recycling batteries is discharging them, I'd lack the cojones to try and touch it charged i seen enough lithium explosions.

"First rules" and basic rules are there for a reason. Workers do not understand all the aspects of the tasks and processes involved with the risk becoming a real threat.

You can get seriously hurt when shorting a car battery. An adjustable wrench melts in an instant and molted metal drops can be flying around. The electrical explosion that could follow can throw acid your way.

The chance of that happening depends on factors, some can be controlled, some not, That's why employers choose the safe side, do no do it!, (basic rule) No need to explain the physics or provide scientific studies; employees may not interpret it properly and make a wrong decision. Just say NO!

Lithium and lead are quite different. Lithium battery fires can not be put out. We saw that with a recent ship burning near our coast. Lead does not burn, nor does H2SO4, as far as i know.

But yes, thanks for the addition, hence my remark about safety.

A little disclaimer: all activities should be risk assessed and have some control measure to reduce risks to an acceptable level BEFORE execution. The identified risks should be taken into consideration if execution of the activity is advisable or not.

Individuals are responsible for their own actions. Employers are responsible for the safety of their workers at work.

Edited for correct word.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back