Wearable gold jewelry

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patnor1011

I wonder if some members who recover gold from lots containing wearable jewelry may be interested to offer some pieces for sale here say for the price of gold. It may save them chemicals and some time refining items which can be still used and buyer will also save when comparing gold content price to a price in jewelry shops the difference is quite steep.
Could that be a viable thing to entertain in here? I may be interested in getting some pieces myself but probably form around the EU area preferably due to possible tax issues. Any opinions?

I do save wearable pieces for resale. But I sell for over the price of the gold. I worked in the jewelry business for many years, and the markup is much higher than I've ever sold for. I get a little more than the gold value, save the chemicals, and the buyer gets a great discount below jewelry store prices.

Dave

A lot of refiners also sell used jewelry from a dedicated website. Often not associated with their refinery portion of the business. As any transaction between members of this forum has it's benefits, I can also see some down sides for the forum itself to get involved in a transaction. For one thing, any offering must be made with exact weights and high quality photographs as well as any details available for any gems or stones included on the piece for sale.

I would be in favor of this site hosting a section for goods for sale with the understanding that the forum is in no way responsible for the goods represented in the sale. Any and all costs associated with the sale and delivery of payment and the goods has to be entirely between the members.

Of course this is just me giving my opinion. For this to proceed we need to see if their is member interest and then, if there is enough interest, a decision has to be made by the owners of the GRF to determine if this is do able.

I get it as prolonged back and forth accusations and complaints made a lot of bad blood in the past. This may be an invite for it to happen again. But in any case current buy and sell part of forum can suffice for any offers if someone has anything for sale as it is anyway.

We should be carefull not to become a dealers point for stolen gold, a lot of 'wearable gold' will be worn and not turned in as damaged scrap gold jewelry?

That said, i think the effort someone has put in refining a nice button will be appreciated much more here by our members, compared to a "we buy gold shop that can test up to 22K, and the hobby refiner has a chance to actually get closer to spot here, or even over spot. so, good idea imo.

We should be carefull not to become a dealers point for stolen gold,
This is a good point, here in the US the laws vary state to state with some states requiring buyers to hold on to the material they paid for for as many as 30 days. I would imagine someone selling off stolen jewelry could sell it here. But there is one difference, it would have to be a member, so we know the seller or at least have basic contact information and we also will have the photo's used to represent the goods for sale. I doubt any member would get to the point of running it as a jewelry store here for free. And if they did, it would be addressed by the admin here and a formal decision made.

As with all transactions here on the forum the owners, admin and moderators have no authority or responsibility over them, they are done between members who need to be aware we can do little to nothing if things go awry, we are not eBay or another selling / buying site who takes a percentage to give guarantees to both parties.

Back