What Causes this Color?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldman94

Just curious as to what causes this kind of color on my button? Is it an oxidation thing or what? There was nothing like that when I poured it into a bar, only when I leave it to form a button. I tried cleaning it off in a water and sulfuric acid boil but that didn't do anything. The bottom of the button is fine, its just the top that's discolored. :?

Attachments

• 20200427_111429.jpg
    20200427_111429.jpg
    3.9 MB
  • 20200427_111444.jpg
    20200427_111444.jpg
    3.9 MB
It's contaminants oxidizing as it cools. The bottom doesn't look like that because it's not exposed to oxygen.
It needs to be refined again.

Johnny5 said:
It's contaminants oxidizing as it cools. The bottom doesn't look like that because it's not exposed to oxygen.
It needs to be refined again.

How come it didn't look like that when i poured it into a bar then?

Attachments

• 20200426_201622.jpg
    20200426_201622.jpg
    3.5 MB
anachronism said:
Sometimes if you re-melt and you use lots of Borax the Borax pulls out the Copper. Or at least enough of it to make the difference that you see.

I didn't use any borax, the only borax that was in there was from the glaze on the crucible. When I have time I'll remelt it into a bar and see what happens then

Just thinking out loud, but when you pour a bar it is likely to cool more quickly. When you leave a button in the melting dish, there is more heat retained in the dish itself, so the button will cool a little more slowly, which can allow the base metals to oxidize a little more. Of course, that assumes that everything else is exactly the same. Perhaps this button was a bit more contaminated than your previous pour into a bar. I don't know. Just giving you some food for thought.

In any event, it shows that the gold is a little contaminated, both by the oxidation on the surface and the lack of a pipe. You can use it to deNOx solutions in the future as Harold did.

Dave

My guess, copper oxides. When you pour it into a graphite mold it both cools faster and there might be some carbon dioxide created that formed a bit of a protective atmosphere. Leaving it to air-cool takes longer and the air have time to form an oxidized surface.

It's almost a spitting image of my 26 g button, made from source material that only registered as gold and copper on an XRF and left in the melting dish to cool down.
26g button top.jpg
26g button bottom.jpg
Not cleaned since I picked it up from the melting dish. The top side is more dull and have a red tone to it.
Some white borax is stuck on the right side seen from the bottom.

I think in my case, the fact that the borax isn't discolored points to quite low level of contaminant.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
My guess, copper oxides. When you pour it into a graphite mold it both cools faster and there might be some carbon dioxide created that formed a bit of a protective atmosphere. Leaving it to air-cool takes longer and the air have time to form an oxidized surface.

It's almost a spitting image of my 26 g button, made from source material that only registered as gold and copper on an XRF and left in the melting dish to cool down.
26g button top.jpg
26g button bottom.jpg
Not cleaned since I picked it up from the melting dish. The top side is more dull and have a red tone to it.
Some white borax is stuck on the right side seen from the bottom.

I think in my case, the fact that the borax isn't discolored points to quite low level of contaminant.

Göran

Geeze that almost is a spitting image of it. That's crazy. When you did the xrf on it, what were the percentages?

I only did an xrf on the precursor material and it was 2 parts gold and 1 part copper.
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=27282&p=295768#p295768

From that picture I think it went through at least three baths of boiling aqua regia, filtering and precipitation. Each time coming back to that clay-like substance. In the end I managed to clean it up using several boiling ammonia baths for a day and still got that contaminated button. But my thought was that whatever survived the wash procedure would probably burn off if I melted it. Another re-refining and it should be perfect.

Göran

anachronism said:
Woah you got THAT from "the white stuff?"

Yeah, that was the white clay I put in your trash bag for half a day while I was chasing a barren solution. :lol:

Göran

You may assume, but you never know where your gold is if you don't test.

I want an XRF too, but I can't afford one for the moment.

Göran

Latest posts

Back