what does a hyphen mean when it is used in between 2 names

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure but when ladies get married .
They want to keep their family names and the name of their husbands last name

I know double last names have been big in Quebec lately, so Noxx probably has one :lol:

Also it's long been customary in many Spanish speaking countries.
It makes me think of silly British aristocrats too, who might have three or four last names, in order to let people know of their fine pedigree :roll:

Russel Upsom-Grubs! I was wondering if maybe that was your name Irons, but then I said it to myself a couple times and figured it out. LOL

Indeed, many have two family names over here.

My name is John-Nicholas Allaire (or Jean-Nicolas Allaire in french)

hphoa said:
Skippy, it's Russel Upsom-Grub? not Grubs! :D
I dunno! Could be Irons likes 'em. :lol:

Anyone see that documentary, long ago, of African natives hunting food? One of their favored delicacies are a huge grub, taken from bamboo. Watched the dude suck it right down, right after splitting the bamboo to get it out.

And to think I had to suffer through eating a pizza tonight, when I could have had grubs. 8)

Harold

Barren Realms 007 said:
skippy said:
Russel Upsom-Grubs! I was wondering if maybe that was your name Irons, but then I said it to myself a couple times and figured it out. LOL

It's the hick in Iron's. 8)

I must admit, I do like them ridges. :mrgreen:

Trout like grubs even better than me. Just hang a nice ripe sucker on a branch over a stream. As the maggots fall out, here come the Trout.

Harold_V said:
Anyone see that documentary, long ago, of African natives hunting food? One of their favored delicacies are a huge grub, taken from bamboo. Watched the dude suck it right down, right after splitting the bamboo to get it out

Just like many things it is all in how they are prepared. Fried, most grubs are actually rather tasty to me (add some salt or fry in butter). Irons likes them raw as bait for trout. As much as I like the taste of trout though they are boney to the point you can not get a boneless filet. The best way to cook them in my opinion is all day at low heat to make the bones go soft like you have in canned salmon. Being an Easterner we used to do that with shad that were just as boney but much larger boned than our trout.

Oz said:
Harold_V said:
Anyone see that documentary, long ago, of African natives hunting food? One of their favored delicacies are a huge grub, taken from bamboo. Watched the dude suck it right down, right after splitting the bamboo to get it out

Just like many things it is all in how they are prepared. Fried, most grubs are actually rather tasty to me (add some salt or fry in butter). Irons likes them raw as bait for trout. As much as I like the taste of trout though they are boney to the point you can not get a boneless filet. The best way to cook them in my opinion is all day at low heat to make the bones go soft like you have in canned salmon. Being an Easterner we used to do that with shad that were just as boney but much larger boned than our trout.

Some people, mainly old-timers, still eat Shad here, usually smoked. They're called Bloaters.

As for Trout, I won't eat hatchery fish (stockers). They taste like the fish meal pellets they are fed while growing to legal size. I know a few places where there are true 'wild' populations. The Wild Trout have pink flesh, like Salmon. Fry them and the meat pulls away from the bone. I wouldn't want to eat Trout every day. It would get old really fast. I prefer to 'educate' them and let them go.

Irons said:
I prefer to 'educate' them and let them go.

Thats funny!

I must admit though that I never understood catch and release, if I catch or shoot something, I eat it.

We have native populations of trout as well as streams that are stocked, and I find them all with fine bones you have to pick out. We used to smoke shad as well but I never thought to do it with trout for some strange reason. It was a “must do” with shad as we used dip nets on the river before the dams depleted the runs much like the salmon out west. You caught all your fish for the year in a few days to last the year, so preservation was essential.

is it too late to jump in on trout discussion?
too bad - my dad would catch & gut them, then wrap them in clay-grass mixture (there's that HYPHEN again!) then bury them in the coals for a few hours. he says that when they cracked open the clay the skin stuck to the clay "brick" and the meat just fell off the gones. if you find wild onions or garlic you could pack the cavity with that before adding the clay.
trout - Mmmm ...

dtectr said:
is it too late to jump in on trout discussion?
too bad - my dad would catch & gut them, then wrap them in clay-grass mixture (there's that HYPHEN again!) then bury them in the coals for a few hours. he says that when they cracked open the clay the skin stuck to the clay "brick" and the meat just fell off the gones. if you find wild onions or garlic you could pack the cavity with that before adding the clay.
trout - Mmmm ...

That's Gonads not gones. :mrgreen:

dtectr said:
my dad would catch & gut them, then wrap them in clay-grass mixture (there's that HYPHEN again!) then bury them in the coals for a few hours. he says that when they cracked open the clay the skin stuck to the clay "brick" and the meat just fell off the gones. if you find wild onions or garlic you could pack the cavity with that before adding the clay.
trout - Mmmm ...

We used to do that when out camping. It is far easier than scaling the fish in camp and it gives a good quality to the texture of the meat and the scales do stay adhered to the clay. I never tried it with trout though, but many a bass and bluegill.

I don't know about Iron's fish gonads but we did used to strip out some fish for the roe. Slowly sauteed in butter with just the smallest bit of wild onion is a real treat. You have to be real careful to do it on low heat and not overcook it though.

This is making my mouth water. I haven't had fish like that for a long time.

Back