What happened?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For 'strong' or warm sulfuric acid you'll need glassfiber filters. Paper gets eaten. Alkali solutions are also filtered with filter paper, and like in waste treatment they do not dissolve, but that's with soda ash, so pH11, not 14.

A query I read about PP nylon filter, but I can't find it again. Grrrrrr.
What would be a suitable filter that can withstand acid and alkali solutions?
How many microns should the material be to remove....say Ash, mica, plastics, infant everything but allow AR gold solution to pass?
For AR normal paper filter will suffice.
For warm Sulfuric PP or Fiber glass is needed.

There was a contaminant, copper I think in my nitric acid. Careless dirty beaker.
AR solution is tainted with green colour.
If I try to drop the Au with SMB, will the presence of Cu²+ spoil the drop.
Should I try to drop the Cu²+ using iron first and the filter the dropped Copper out.
I think I'm way in over my head because I'm new to chemistry. I'm worried that I could lose the lot.

There was a contaminant, copper I think in my nitric acid. Careless dirty beaker.
AR solution is tainted with green colour.
If I try to drop the Au with SMB, will the presence of Cu²+ spoil the drop.
Should I try to drop the Cu²+ using iron first and the filter the dropped Copper out.
I think I'm way in over my head because I'm new to chemistry. I'm worried that I could lose the lot.
Just drop it with SMB and then redissolve with HCl/bleach or HCl/Peroxide and drop again.
Iron will drop all, so if you want to cement it, use Copper which will drop only PMs in this case

Thanks. You're a genius. For learning sake I'll try (1) HCl:Bleach.
(2) HCl:peroxide.
Are hyperchlorite tablets (used to sterilise infant's bottles) a source of bleach? I'm just curious, yes, curiously killed the cat, (or so the saying goes). I'd rather err on the side of caution and enquire of your expertise.

If I were to use bleach, I would get it at a hydroponics store. My second choice would be from a beauty supply outlet. I would not use regular household bleach.
Caution - these highly concentrated bleach solutions can be nasty.

Back